"break-in period", a myth?

GooseChaser

hello, this is goosechaser from the promedia forum. in promedia 5.1 forum, we have a thread in which ppl claim that break-in period sounds "bogus" or another guy who claims he's never heard of break-in period after years of extensive experiences in the audio industry. oh yeah, then, proJD added "it's more one of those things you trick yourself into thinking you heard"

when I search for "break in period speakers"(have to add "speakers" because other uses of the phrase, "break in period") at a search engine, I get dozens of speaker and cable reviews in which break in period's mentioned. some wrote about long break in period for a particular model, some about the sound difference... but can't seem to find a speaker manufacturor that talks about the break in period. I was told that "Audio Analogue" recommends burn-in period but can't find anything related on their website.

so what's the verdict?

GooseChaser,

This is a very controversial topic on which there is no clear consensus. Most beleive that there is a break-in period, but the opinions on the length of the break-in period vary from a few minutes to many weeks.

One prior post that I remember stated that JBL states that there is a two hour break-in for its speakers used in commercial theaters.

My personal opinion is that there is a short break-in period. I also believe that speakers can change over time due to wear and tear as well as abuse.

If you want real controversy, ask whether cables break-in.

Bill

Goosechaser, this is a good one. Here's my take on it.

Our olfactory senses (smell), after prolonged exposure to a particular odor, fatigue. That is a medical term. A persons nose actually gets used to the smell and you don't recongnize it in the same way as you do when you first smell it.

Now, I don't know of any scientific studies to prove or disprove this, but I think it's entirely possible for one's ears to sort of do the same thing. I've heard people talk about getting fatigued listening to a particular sound system and with others they can listen for hours. I really think that as a person listens to the sound from a particular system, that they grow accustomed to it, more comfortable with it. This can happen very quickly, say within a few minutes, or it can happen over a long period of time. I personally don't think there's much difference in sound due to a break in period, I think it's the human ear that is getting broken in.

By the way, I think that the differences that many attribute to some cables are pretty much the same thing. I doubt there's a perceptable difference between a real good $100 set of cables and a real good $1000 set. Maybe an imagined difference! What do you think?

IMHO Greg

EVERYONE knows you have to flush out the bad electrons that sound muddy (they have too many top quarks) and push in new, freshly made electrons from the coal-fired power plants (new fangled nuclear made electrons sound harsh and screechy) to get better sound. If you are so lucky as to get new hydroelectric electrons, your music will take on the most wonderful liquid, musical sound, but that's usually a crap shoot. The most ethereal sound comes from electrons made by wind-powered generators; so open and airy it defies description. It's a life-altering experience!

Of course there is a break in for speakers and electronics. I might agree with the assertion that you as the listener get acclimated to the sound of the equipment but how can you explain the same electronics the same speakers in the same place and over time the sound becomes better. Much like a great touring car the parts work better when "broken in" of course this is all subjective. and i could be wrong9.gif