Premium Sweetie Amp: Technical Talk, Parts Options, Testing Results and Other Comments

KT88

I spent some time this week changing the voltages and current on the input tube seeing if any value changes made any difference. Nothing significant came from testing on the input tube. The power tube is running at 80% and I see no reason to change anything there. In other words I am confident Maynard hit the nail on the head when he published this design. If not the head of the nail real close. Sure you can start manipulating the signal with feedback lowering the 2nd harmonics making it sound more like a pentode amplifier or a SS one but why. Certainly not me having multiple SS amps and one pentode and one PP tube amplifier to hear that kind of sound with. I favor single ended amplifiers, not that I do not like the other kinds of amplification as well but what really makes me smile is a simple circuit 2 stage single ended tube amplifier. Right now the signal in this amplifier goes through this amplifier with as little manipulation as possible other than amplification which is what you want. One is hearing the sound of the tube at least as reasonable possible in a SET amplifier. 

Certainly anyone is welcome to play with the circuit however they desire. The only point to be made is build one and see what all the fuss is about. Then you can tailor the sound to suit you. 

Of course it's a fine little amplifier, I wouldn't be spending my time on it if I didn't like the design. It's got the hallmarks of things I'm into like the 6Y6 tube. That's not a tube you hear about all the time like the chocolate/vanilla EL34/KT88 amps that flood the market.

Elekit makes a nice 300b amplifier that has a switch to add 8db of feedback or leave it open loop. I'm not saying this amp needs negative feedback, but it might be a nice option for the end user to be able to decide for any recording they listen to or any pair of speakers they might have.

It's just a simple "mod" that gives the end user more options and versatility. I know it's not needed but options are fun I think.

• Like 1