K55M/K77M VS K55X/K77F

ciro

The new divers for La Scala and KHorns are the K55X midrange and the K77F tweeter with the AL-4 crossover (I thinkn the K33E Woofer is unchanged). I'd like to know the difference between these new drivers and the precedent couple K55M and K77M and the best configuration in your opinion.

Thanks Ciro

The -X squawker is the K-55-V squawker modified to be smoother. It lost about 1.5 db in efficiency in the process. The -F is the K-77-M. The new manufacturer could not achieve the older 104 dB rating, either. I could not determine why. It is also about 1.5 dB less efficient.

IMO, these would be the prefered drivers. I have always liked the K-55-V over the -M and now it is improved. None of us has seen the AL/AK-4 network, so i can't comment. The AL/AK-3 was a respected network. I doubt Klipsch would have screwed up the -4.

Thanks John, I'm Italian and I'm looking for a new pair of La Scala. Do you know the age of the new La Scala with the K-55-X, the price in the USA? And what about the technical differences between this driver and the M version? Do anybody listen the new La Scala?

Thanks a lot Ciro

Production of all Heritage models were halted for a while because the K-55-M was no longer made by ElectroVoice and the K-77-M had become either hard to get or expensive. K-horn production restarted in late 2002. La Scalas may have been made in 2002. I'm sure there are 2003 La Scalas. I have not seen a hard price for La Scalas, but Klipsch has said it will be higher than the previous price of $US2798.

BTW, what does testaretta (if I spelled it right) mean? I know testarossa means "redhead", so it must mean some sort of "head". It is used to describe the new Ducati 999.

Don't know. Last I heard Atlas was making the K-55-X for Klipsch. Some years ago a "friend" of Klipsch bought the T-35/K-77-M tooling and was producing the tweeters. I don't know who is making the K-77-F. Klipsch is sensitive about that stuff, so I don't ask anymore when talking to employee-friends.

Klipsch always did and probably always will sell the newer drivers and networks so people can change to them. In time there won't be any more K55-M, K77-M,drivers and AL-3,AK-3 networks to be had. They keep some of the old for about five years for warranty issues. After that, if you have a problem and need a new driver or two you have to buy the newer ones. The newer drivers should be available. If they are an upgrade, that is yet to be known. If you buy the new drivers

you will also have to buy the new networks.

Q is correct. The new network corrects for the diminished output. I can't remember which speakers and drivers you have, so it's hard to say if the new ones would be better. If you have K-55-Vs and square magnet K-77-Ms, I'd bet the differences are way too small for the cost involved. Though not a fan of the K-55-M, I wouldn't change it either. Spend money on your crossover and damping the horns.