Looking for a subwoofer

swells

I am looking to upgrade my sterio sys. I have a pair of Heresy bought in '89. After reading thru this forum, I have decided that the RSW-10 is for me. However, at $1,700.00 Canadian, I am wondering if the KSW-10 @ $700.00 would be suitable.

On another note, I have seen quite a few people making reference to the Heresy. I am suprized. I have always loved them, but I thought with all the new technolgy that they would have been forgotten.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I personally have never heard any of the klipsch subs so I can't really say.

However judging on what most people on hear say, the RSW line of subs is much more competent as far as speed and punch goes.

Still $1000 is a big difference.

btw, the heresies are not likely to be forgotten if I(or many others on here)have anything to say about it2.gif

Peace, Josh

swells~

Welcome first of all. When I first went to hear Klipsch, I found myself in the same position. I went in looking at the Synergy Series with a KSW sub, but once I heard the Reference series.....well my pocket got alot lighter. There are two big differences between KSW and RSW, performance and price and for each person it's a judgement call. I never would have thought I would pay $1000 for a sub, but the RSW was a much better performer AND I could afford to get it if I wanted. I doubt anyone here would ever tell you the KSW is better than an RSW in terms of performance, but once you put the price into the equation for some the KSW will still be their only option. My recommendation would be that you hold off for a while and see what the specs/reviews will be on the new RW series subwoofers. From what little is known of them right now, it sounds like they might bridge the price/performance gap between the KSW and RSW lines.

~shoe

Have you taken a look at Paradigm's subs, the PW2200 or Servo-15. I dont' know Canadian pricing but I've always read that it's much cheaper than what the US folk can get it for. They're excellent subwoofers that at least deserve a demo if they fall within your price range. While I love Klipsch, I've never considered their subs to be class leaders.

Fabulous Frankie... you are even more fabulous in your PW 2200 suggestion than you realize. It's made in Canada and is the best performing sub (Canadian) Dollar for (Canadian) Dollar that a Canadian can buy... and, as such, a much bigger bang for the (Canadian) buck than the KSW series. With five KSW's in storage, I speak from experience. You can bet TheEar(s) would agree and he's a Canadian Bassophile tried and true.

Spending serious money on a low performing sub is something that will haunt every DVD or CD that goes through your system. When it comes to subwoofers, accepting boom paunch for clean punch is never a good deal when there is a home grown mini-star that can be had for less than the KSW... which wasn't designed to work with the speakers in your system.

RSW and SVS Ultras, though are in a different (and higher) class, IMHO... and even they have to be doubled or tripled to get all the bass that Reference Level Bass implies. =HornEd

PS: Even Tom Vodhanel (the "V" in SVS) tipped his hat on this Forum to the PW2200 for it's price performance advantage for Canadians. But, confidentially, swells, even in my penny pinching mode, twin SVS Ultras blend transparently with Heritage class speakers that I probably would have them even if I had the good fortune to be Canadian.

I can get the PW2200 for $700 Canadian!The RSW10 cost me $1100 Canadian(I NEVER EVER PAY REATIL LOL)

the RSW15 set me 2400 Canadian.At one time I had the Servo-15,paid $1280 Canadian! LOL

I never overpay or pay the gross retail. 3.gif

If a dealer is firm on the retail they will not get my money,they can go to hell and go out of business.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to go in surch for a Paradigm dealer to compair thier price. Is there a way to what size or how much power a sub should have. right now I have a pair of Heresy's powered by a NAD 3150, approx 55 to 65 watts/chan if I remember correctly. I my future, I would like a center and two surounds with a NAD T761 Approx 80 w/c.