Mark III's 95% done !

NOSValves

Well I can't believe how much time this project has taking but its drawing to a end. I'm very happy with the way they have turned out. They now only have one original part left in them and just for good measure I think I'll get rid of that resistor also !! I still have to replace the binding posts also. But other then that there are complete and sound very good !! I also have some Russian Film, Foil and Oil caps ordered I would like to try if Dale can wait till they arrive and if they fit. That is a problem with these circuit boards is your limited on what you can mount on them. I looked at Many options and they all are way to large to fit.

Before any work

mark3_before.jpg

Complete rebuild

mark3done2.JPG

For kicks a top view

mark3done3.JPG

Nice job, freak! Now SHINE THEM THERE CHASSIS! Gots to get them things on the site looking like shiny wagons on Christmas day! Those things will polish like a dream.

Nice work....holy interior caps! Go for the vintage R coupling caps. I would. He can wait since he isnt going to have a preamp yet either.

The 6SN7 SRPP will have a gain of 10. I'm feeling wacky (I have been up for 38 hours trying to do site due yesterday). Hardwood Chassis ~ Copper Top plate for Superior grounding ~ IEC Out for use of different power cords ~ Gold Plated RCA Jacks (3 Inputs) ~ High Z / Low Z Outputs (improved amp matching with High/Low impedance outs) ~ High Current Power Transformer 300 Series ~ Dual Hammond Chokes ~ Noble 100k Stereo Pot (optional stepped attenuator) ~ Kiwame Resistors ~ Solen 630V Caps ~ Auricap coupling (Jensen Copper Foil Oils optional) ~ Black Gates ~ Point to point ~ Hand wired ~ Tube Rectified Power Supply ~ Ceramic Sockets ~ Solid OFC Cardas Copper wiring / Solid Copper Ground BUSS ~ Wood Shipping Crate ~ And probably some other sutff I cant think of.

Gain: 10 both outputs

High Z output: 10K

Low Z output: 800 ohm

Input impedance: 100K

Measurements: H 7" W 10 1/4" D 14 1/4"

Hopefully, the two will make music together. Dont see why not. Nice Work, Straight line man! Fire em up!

kh

Kelly,

Were going to have to wait on that. Dale is going to give them a once over since he works at a car dealership he's going to have the cages plated in Chrome , Gold or copper !! and shine up the chassis. He has a nice Digital I believe so we will have him take some photo's. Beside I'm great at soldering and tinkering but me and a polishing rag just don't turn out the best results if you know what I mean. You have to know your limits in life I guess !

Craig

I've been conversing with craig via e-mail so he's well aware of how please i am with his work. If it has'nt sunk in yet craig then thanx once again.

You guy's can throw in your opinion now on what finish would complement these amps and jeffs pre-amp the most. I have a plating shop basicly in my back pocket, i do thousands of $ a month business with them so my stuff gets done NC.

So with that said heres the choices. 1) i could chrome plate the grille screens to match the chassis, this would look nice. 2) i could gold plate the grille screens , this would look rich but might not match. 3) i could copper plate the grille screens, this would match the pre-amp top plate .

WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK WOULD LOOK THE BEST ?

P.S JEFF : I know your online with us and craig would be thrilled if you drop him a line.

Thanx again for all the help you guy's have given so far : DALE

Kelly

Man he's really loading them preamps up with choice parts for $975 just shows you what these companies are making I bet you a dime to a dollar if one of the big players build that preamp it would be 2K at the very least. Man what a deal !!! I bet the things sound stunning !! Is $975 with tubes ??

I hope Dale can wait and those Russian fit it could only get better !!

Craig

Very nice work mr NOS , I owned a pair of these myself back in the late 70's and never have one bit of problems with them. My speakers were not as efficient as the k-horn that mr walker has but the dynaco's had no problem keeping up with what i was using at the time.

Not knowing the extent of your modification to these units or the output mode you have selected i,m not sure what improvement in sonic performance you have obtained. But even updating them with modern parts must be a great improvement over the very simple design they originated in.

I've heard that disconecting the ulta taps is a nice touch on these dynaco's but i've yet to hear one thats obtained this mod.Did you switch them to dual biasing ? and which tubes ? kt-88 or 6550 .

These amps now have a full Triode front end using Triode electronics replacement board using 1 -12AU7 and 1-12BH7 . The output tubes are Svetvana KT-88's running in triode mode with about 30 clean watts of output with dual bias control. Basically there is no critical part in the amps that is original except the Iron. They sound stunning and still very powerfull if it wasn't for heat issues I would try them in full Class A just don't want to push the envelop that far they sound great like this so why bother. I'm also going to slide in some nicer caps on the front end board for more improvement and detail as soon as they arrive. Also adding nice binding post too !!

Craig

Sounds to me like you have spent some time on the old girls, it's one thing to mod one vintage unit but two at the same time is and undertaking in itself. With what you have described i could well imagine these dynaco's will now hold there own against a lot of the newer gear.

As far as a push-pull amp goes , these should be right up there in the performance chart. And likly put a lot of ss gear to shame in the sonics dept.

Dale, I personally would shine the bastard out of the chrome and give the cages a fresh coat of powder coat black. Or if they are REALLY good, you might chrome the cages although this could backfire depending on how used to doing fine detailed pieces like that cage. The Copper cage might turn out really cheesy. The black cage and shiny chrome would go with the most things and be more subtle. You dont want a chain link steering wheel amp....

Here are two shots of one of my backup amps that has been off-line for a long time. I got a shot of it with the cage as well.

My ASUSA A-4 UL EL-34 Amp in Chrome with Black Cage

kh

ps- Craig, yep...that preamp is virtually a STEAL at the price. It really is obviously not a money making enterprise at the moment but may change. The only people that know about this stuff besides his usual friends up there that all have amps (what are friends for) are the Klipsch Forum crew. I made a page for the preamp but not the amps yet.

Kelly: That's a sweet looking piece of gear. Is the cage semi gloss, flat or glossy. The picture looks like it's a semi gloss finish. Very nice indeed.

Think i'll have to do something with the old iron as well, that grey is old looking.

I'm very happy to acquire my pre-amp now , if jeff gets into the mainstream with his stuff the price is going to go through the roof.