Mark III's 95% done !

NOSValves

dale, your speakers are going to be tickled to sh*t when you get those amps back and wired up. i went over craigs yesterday and auditioned your amps on craigs lascala's. fabulous. they sound powerful and smooth. i like how they seem to create a sound stage. very musical. dude, your going to be grinning from ear to ear when you get those things wired up. i took my rx v2092 yamaha brick with me to compare tube gear to SS. i'm thinking of getting into tubes myself. craig has a 299B scott that i listened to first. real nice smooth sound. then i listened to the markIII's, more powerful and the bass seem to tighten up. then the yamaha was last. it also had a powerful sound but, was slightly edgy with a tad bit of digital sound. i'm not as dissappointed in the SS as i thought i'd be. the yamaha has a rating of 140w@ 8ohm,20-20 0.02% THD, dampening factor of 200. as for tube amps, i dont think you can do any better than the mark III's for the money spent. i'm very impressed with them. also, about the color combos. i would leave the cages black and polish the chrome plate. if i get a pair i will have the cages and the transformer covers powder coated black, and the plate plated in gold or some kind of gold tone. the next comparison at craigs will be cables. i'm going to buy a pair of analysis rca cable and just see if there is a difference in high dollar and the cheap stuff. thanks again for having me over craig. later dave1.gif

He listened to my 299B and no I don't wire Scott's in Triode as a normal mod. They have less headroom to deal with and cutting the output from 17 to 20 watts down to 8 to 10 is a trade off with Scott amps although its up to the amp owner. Its a simple mod but !! While the Mark III's have plenty of headroom and can easily spare the 30 watt loss of Triode Operation and still be able to nock you out of your room at any given moment with any kind of music you throw at it. I know this isn't important to you but to others it is.

I think these Mark III's are absolute stunners with the Mods I did to them. I'm glad my PS Capacitor choices and values seem to work so well !! I still wonder what kind of shape and what all was done to the Mark III's you have heard because I just can't understand your lack of respect for them. I'm sure it has something to do with your taste in the presentation of the music you listen to or the mods done to them didn't produce what I'm hearing!! While I will soon be on a search of my own to find a nice set of these for myself. If not these I might get some Heathkit WM5's or even a EICO's but something along the same lines. I love these things even with the Orange drops !! The only thing I personally don't like is the circuit board I would much rather have point to point that lends itself better to experimentation.

But I'm not in any rush because I still like my Scotts and find them very easy to listen to and when you figure the cost difference its easy to justify the difference. The 299B does a fine job the only difference I can hear is in the Bass control area not a big deal to me at all. I also might piddle and see if I can find some tricks to improve this on the Scotts. Beyond what I've already tried.

Craig

PS I just read your post again and I misread and thought you were asking if the Scott was in triode. Yes the Mark III's are in triode and there staying that way unless Dale would like to have a woodstock concert at his house !!! I just see no need for any more wattage with his setup !!

I talked to craig about the application these markIII's will be used in and it was agreed apon the mode he selected would suit there purpose nicely.

These markIII coupled with our new found friend jeff, and his pre-amp will surly make for a nice 2 channel set up . Of cource the end result of this nice tube gear will sing out loud and clear (hopefully) via my 1987 k-horns.

None of this would have been possible if it were not for the friends i have made here in 2 channel land. Thanks to the klipsch forum and all you guy's who have generously put your 2 cents in.

Craig : how are you making out with the russian oil film caps ?

Now that you've got a few day's and or hours on the mark III's how are they sounding ?

Sure your going to be happy with a st-70 ? Maybe you'll end up looking for some markIII's !!! ???? !!!! ??? .3.gif

Oh I'm sure I will be getting some Mark III's sooner or later. I was just offered a good deal on the ST-70s so what the heck can always sell it to upgrade to the Marks. I haven;t been listening to your amps for the last few days. I installed some new goodies in my 299B and have been working on Kelly's amp finished TalktoKieths amp and also am getting ready to finish up Deans. So they have been sitting there begging me to hook them up. Funny you ask about the Russian caps I got a notice in my mail box today but it was to late to go get them. So monday I will have them. Sure hope they fit !

Craig

Very nice work, Craig! Now that I've melted some solder I have more of an appreciation for the beauty of your work. I have replaced a few resistors in my amp and that part of the neighborhood that I worked on doesn't look quite as nice. Especially where the old parts can get stubborn coming out!

Will it soon be NOS Valves Inc? 1.gif

I just beefed up every step of the filter caps except the first stage. I think I have like 800 UF total in there right now. I did this about a week ago. The heck of it is I just haven't had time to really test the difference in the sound yet. I thought I would wait till I finish your 299B and compare the difference then. Trust me this is a cosmetically challenged mod though. Next I'm going to add a Choke. I'm working with MDeneen on the details of that right now. I'm trying to squeeze that ultimate bass control out of the little beast.

Craig

Hang on to my amp as long as you need it to make comparisons. At some point, you will figure out what works best -- and then I will throw some more money your way if necessary.

I'm seriously considering having you rewire mine for triode operation. At some point, you may want to do that as well and make some comparisons. Or maybe you've done this already withe some other Scott's?

Yea the choke if it does any good is a cheap $10 part and once I nail the power supply values down JJ makes new clamp mount multi sections caps that can be used to reinforce the PS and not look so allien. Just experimenting here !! I think the mods I've done so far are in the right direction to my ears. Mopardave is stopping over today and I'm going to hit his ears with it and see what he thinks.

Craig