Which Dynaco ST-70 to get? Help me decide...

synthfreek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14973&item=3000820957'> THIS ONE href> has a nice wood base, what seems to be nice upgrades & handy rear inputs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14973&item=3000862827'> THIS OTHER ONE href> is $50 cheaper and has a nicer finish as well as quality upgrades. I have $ and want to buy NOW before I go out and buy cds or something. All input welcome. I'm also getting a HK Citation II from a local guy here in Austin and will pay for it in 3 installments from my next 3 paychecks.

Man....no contest. I am with Mark on this one. The first one is nicer and in better shape all the way around. The second chassis was mucked with crinkle coat from hell that looks lke my 106 year old Grandmother, who died at 104 and is under the ground, painted it this year, without the help of the Lord or Buddha or any Jehovah of your choice. Did he lEAN on the nozzle around the endbells?

To me, the parts look even better with the first unit. In addition, if you are going to have to paint it, you might as well paint it black and not the coating from a 50s Ford bedliner. The unit is AT LEAT $50 more appealng.

Mark has eyes as well and sees it too. If you have to go between the two, take option #1. With a brand new matched quad of Svetlana, about the safest EL-34 bet these days, you are on the right foot. Although the Electro Harmonix are a bit better Sovteks than the days of old I was never a fan of the Sovtek EL-34 (although some Svetlana let go from time to time).

They both look comparable wiring wise on the top. What's great is that Craig can take option TWo...and you option one....and you can face off! Of course, those damn ole 715 Orange Drops give me a headache...or are those 716? Vintage caps anyone?

Actually, to be honest, I woudnt get an ST-70 but that is a whole other can of worms. I'd save up some ducats and get something else. But hell... those are fun amps and have the ability to get you in DEEP wanting more. They change hands like the wind. I personally think they need some heavy mods to get the juices flowing totally.

Wait! I just talked to my Grandmother!!! She said #2 had a Spell! Tubes will NEVER WEAR out! Krinkle coat is disguise! IT's YOU!

kh

Attached is the ST-70 a friend is working on for me.

It looked pretty stock when I bought it. So far he has done the following:

* new quad of output tubes -- new Eiectro-Harmonix EL34

* new signal caps (I sent some links and notes from Kelly on cap recommendations and I'm not sure what he actually installed...

* checked tollerances of other components and replace those in need

* checked wiring and repaired as needed

* I believe a new rectifier was installed

* set bias, loaned to friend who likes tube amps for burn-in, reset bias

Gold plated connectors are being added.

It's still pretty stock in design and it would be interesting to compare to a full VanA mod. I don't think the Triode board would be much of a change...isn't that the same circuit with a new board and upgraded components...similar to what has been done to mine. I read the factory board with the same components as installed on the Triode board sounds the same.

I'm getting positive feedback on the sound as a good representation of the ST-70.

If I use the Outlaw 1050 as the pre-amp am I going to get an intro to tubes or will I need to finish my Dyanco PAS 3 (or buy a new $6-800 tube pre-amp to get the tube "bug"?

Restoring the PAS3 is the next project...or maybe just make sure it works and sell it towards a new pre-amp off the recent pre-amp options thread.

I assume I need to eventually get:

* a new pre-amp

* new TT and cartridge

* and then sell the Dynaco and move on to an upgrade recommendation for the amp

But gee...I fear I'll be needing to dump close three kilobucks on TT/cart, pre-amp, upgraded amp. Am I in the game if get a new cartridge for the Beogram 3000, and use the Dynaco connected to the Outlaw 1050...or give-up trying to use a HT/2-channel combo and use the PA3 swapping cables for movies? I know--two rooms, etc. but I'm managing a compromise for the moment.

I've been listening to several classic rock lps on both high condition vinyl and remastered CDs (same album on both formats--Night at the Opera, Animals, Hemispheres...ok..some not so "classic rock...but "classic" all the same ....X "Los Angeles", Grapes of Wrath....for XMas I got a vintage Lefte Bank lp from the 60's but that's another story as are my indie late 50's San Antonio R&R 45's). Nice dynamics on the CD, I give the vinyl a little extra volume boost...on some albums I think I like the remastered CD imaging better. I don't think I've got the vinyl system up to snuff to where I'm hearing a big improvement in vinyl...a new cart/needle would probably help. Other than the comparisons, I've been listening to 90+% vinyl at home and CDs in the car. Mostly because I have a big supply of vinyl I want to hear that's not on CD. I'm also reviewing the condition trying to upgrade the lps that look better than they sound.

--ok, ok...I'll stop rambling...

post-10144-13819246141718_thumb.jpg

Damn, Mike...I love the hell out that avatar. I had one like that for awhile... but became weak and posted something. That has a beauty all its own. The SET of avatars!

chemicals and Death of Samantha, Big Black, Naked Raygun, Scratch Acid, Salem 66, Volcano Suns....

Craig, my eyes are like two burnt holes in a blanket.

What am I doing?

kh

ps- Ken, dont go vintage with the preamp unless you want to do a lot of mod work. I tend to like vintage tube amps and modern (relatively) preamps. The PAS3 is ok...but can be bettered without a lot of pain.

What is sleep?

I was listening to a 45 by SALEM 66 "Across the Sea/Pony Song". Produced by boy friend David Minehan of the NEIGHBORHOODS.

Maybe I shouldn't have filled my brain with all this R&R junk...I certainly should go to bed so I'm sharp for my presentation in the morning....what a distraction this posting fad of mine has been.

Well I got home a few hours ago from the guy in Lockhart, TX (Waiting For Guffman was filmed there...woohoo) whose vintage gear I arranged to check out. He has 2 Citation II's and I've already arranged for one to be mine in the not too distant future. It's in great shape and should be mine in 6 weeks tops. I did pick up a nice looking Dynaco ST-70 today though. I have now officially entered the world of tubes. I'll post some pics and try to give more info tomorrow. Too busy breaking in these brand new Sovtek EL34 tubes. :-) Seriously guys you should've seen his workshop. UNREAL! He must've had 15 Scott integrateds. He builds custom tube guitar amps that looked really impressive as well. He had these Heath cornerhorns with an interesting vented port on either side, a huge rack of Bogen(I believe) amps that could've rocked a stadium, Fisher monoblocks, vintage Marantz stuff, Eico stuff, many Dynaco products, stacks of Citation series amps, Pilot stuff..there was honestly 200 different pieces...it was insane.

Craig, I'll be headed back to his house in a few weeks to give him a down payment on the one Citation II. The other is in dire need of a rebuild and I don't think that's top priority for him now as I'm pretty sure he has several other amps lined up for work. I'll ask though and I'll double-check for the other models.

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/synthfreek/dynacost70.jpg'>HERE href> is my ST-70. The cage is minty but not shown. Sovtek EL34 output tubes used.