Noob - My speakers & what receiver should I get?

mqb

I recently ordered my first set of speakers. I still do not have a receiver to power them, or an amp (will I need an amp?) I am wondering what I will need to get good sound out of them. I've seen them running off a $1200 Denon receiver, but I don't want to spend anywhere near that amount. I don't need all the bells and whistles. 2 Channel Stereo, Dolby Digital, and I guess 5 Channel Stereo would be good enough for starters.

My speakers:

RF-3ii x 2 (front left & right)

SC-1 x 1 (center)

SS-1 x 2 (rear left & right)

KSW-12 x 1 (sub)

Thanks.1.gif

Exciting to be getting the first Klipsch's, isn't it?

Not to throw a wrench into things, but if you can, I'd change the order and get a RC-3 instead of the SC-1 center. The center speaker needs to be a good match to the main speakers so you have continuity in tone across the front soundstage for Home Theater. The SC-1 is not the best match -- the RC-3 was designed to match the RF-3.

You don't need an amp AND a receiver. If you're on a limited budget, a receiver will be fine. Tell us how much you've got to spend on one.

DD

----------------

Exciting to be getting the first Klipsch's, isn't it?

----------------

Yup... listen to them every day at work... can't wait to have them setup at home!

----------------

On 1/15/2003 2:09:55 AM dougdrake wrote:

I'd change the order and get a RC-3 instead of the SC-1 center.

----------------

Originally I was going to go for an entire RF3 system, but I am on a very tight budget, hense the synergy center. I do plan on upgrading in the future once the computer industry bounces back ... ...

----------------

On 1/15/2003 2:09:55 AM dougdrake wrote:

You don't need an amp AND a receiver. If you're on a limited budget, a receiver will be fine. Tell us how much you've got to spend on one.

----------------

Like I said, I'm on a _very_ tight budget, so I'm trying to keep the cost of the receiver under $200. It's either that, or let the speakers collect dust. I guess I just need to get some suggestions on what I should use to drive the speakers, so I can find a decent deal on eBay for some used receivers since I doubt I can get one new at the price.

Man $200. ouchy ouchy ouchy. Well, first of all, im going to suggest a reciever for $202 on yahoo shopping. Just let me say that I do consider it mean, cruel and somewhat sacreligous to power rf-3s with it. But hey, around $200, what can ya do. My suggestion is the Pioneer VSX-711S. Not a bad reciever. Everything you'll NEED. At this price its a pretty good value, for all it can do. I just hope the computer market comes back soon so you can upgrade. goodluck!

There's also a Denon 1601 on Ebay with a BIN under $200:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3000882049&category=14981

and a couple of Denon 1403's with a BIN of about $225.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14981&item=3001149487

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14981&item=3000922657

Skip lunch for a week and make up the difference over $200. The 1403 is a magnificent little piece!!

DD

I may suggest the Onkyo TX-SR500 to you. I currently am using it and think it is a fine receiver. Not as high of quality as most you will see being used by the people here, but it sounds really good. It has PLII, DD, DTS, 5-channel stereo, and a few DSP modes. Very nice for the money, though now that I think about it, it may have been $299... I don't remember. Ack, class is almost over gotta go...

Unfortunately, it is too late for me to switch center speakers. I decided to go with the SC-1 rather than the RC-1 as when I was comparing speakers, and centers with the RF3ii's, and listening to them individually, they sounded very much alike. I went with the mentality of getting the best fronts I could afford, and picking up the slack on the other speakers (center, surrounds, and possibly sub, even though so far I am very satisfied with the sound that the KSW12 produces.) later on when I came across a few more bucks to spare. 1.gif

Thanks for all the adive so far everyone. I will look into all that has been suggested so far. Once I receive my speakers I will have to make a decision.

edit #1

Ooh... according to epinions.com, the Onkyo TX-SR500 is available for $199.98 online. I'll defenitely have to look into that one.

edit #2

hrm... The receiver is rated at 65W X 5 at 8 Ohms. I think a Denon receiver through ebay may be the best way to go. 7.gif

~mqb

While comparing speakers, the receiver driving them was a Denon AVR-3803, which puts out 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD). I'm new to all of this, so how much of a loudness/clearness/sound difference would there be between the Denon AVR-3802 and the Onkyo TX SR500? I know it isn't fair to compare a $1200 receiver to a $200 - $300 one, but I am trying to maximize bang for buck here 1.gif

~mqb

There will be a noticable sound difference at louder volumes. If you want to go to the "impress your friends" volume level, you will start to notice the difference that power makes, not to mention the distortion. Personally, if I was you, I would let the speakers sit and collect dust rather than buy a reciever that I knew I would have to upgrade. The added expense is not due to all the "bells and whistles", its due to the amplifier power/distortion and thus the quality of the components used. Why dont you get a good amplifier on a 12-month payment plan? just a suggestion

One call also offers financing for minimum of 5 months and can be longer and they have HK which many people on this forum say match up very well with the klipschs. If you go to onecall please let me know and i can see if i can get you a good deal. I know the guys pretty well as i was stationed their a few years back.

just checked onecall it looks like they have the 520 on special for 488. i know thats out of your budget but worth a look. Also i have the VSX 711 in my bedroom home theater and it works fine although its not powering klipsch speakers so i cant comment on that. if you are intent on staying in the 200 range go on ebay and get the Denon.

Thanks for all the additional suggestions.

Unfortunately, credit is out of the question for me... already racked up too much debt. 1.gif

I will be taking all suggestions into consideration.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Denon 1803 or Yamaha RX-V630?

• 2 weeks later...