Anyone heard of this amp? Opinions?

mace

Long ago, reminiscing, about how one of my friend's system sounded so much better with his old Fischer tube amp, before he bought those early 70's Pioneer receivers is one of the reasons I went back to tube electronics. That early 70's Pioneer sure looked pretty. The sound quality was something else.

I love the old beefy stuff compared to the quick slight of hand performed by offerings today. Your measures well, but may have some ear-atating affects, especially with the ultra-sensitive and super revealing Cornwalls. You may find yourself cranking it up to get to the clear air. Distortion may not go low until you are using 5 to 10 watts (whioch is a lot on big old horns):

RMS Power Per Channel 165 into 8 ohms, 200 into 4 ohms!, 20 Hz to 20 KHz

Damping Factor @ Load Impedance 30, 20 Hz to 20 KHz into 8 ohms

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.1% at full rated power into 8 or 4 ohms, no more than 0.05% at 80 watts/channel

Frequency Response 5 Hz to 100 KHz, + 0 dB, - 1 dB Hum and Noise 100 dB

Intermodulation Distortion (IM) No more than 0.1% at full rated power, no more than 0.05% at 80 watts/channel

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/sx1250.html

My old SS amplifier stacked up quite well against the Pass X250, hefty enough for two arm curls, until the music was very loud or very heavy in the bass. I would not search down the SS path anymore since you have that beast. Look instead for the light at the end of the tube tunnel. But dont ever sell it. 200 watts into 4ohms at .1% THD costs a lot of money these days.

2.gif

Thanks for the input. I just borrowed this old beast from a friend. Backbreaker for sure. I hooked it up to my Cornwalls using some spare standard grade monster with the monster screw on pin connectors. For source I used a portable Sony CD player. Besides this less than ideal set-up I was impressed the Pioneer. It put out some solid sound. The knobs had some noise and so did the channels (the balance was a bit off as well) but with a bit of work I suppose it could be brought up to shape. It seems built to kick out some serious power, which is obviously overkill with the Cornwalls. The comment "cranking it up to get some clean air" is something I'll agree with. I turned it up a bit and it just sounded better and better (with Dream Theater, "Scenes from a Memory", track 8). I was curious about SPL and got the ratshack meter... yikes, at 100 dB! It sounded full and solid and not harsh, not strained. Can't comment on details considering the subpar setup.

I was just curious if it had any collector value to see if I could talk the owner into selling but I have no real use for it.

Let's see.... now I've heard 3 different SS amps with my Cornwalls. I suppose I've got a ways to go to catch some of you. And, no, unfortunately I've never even heard a tube amp or preamp. That may change this year at some point. I'm thinking of matching a tube pre-amp to the B&K.

Mace

100 DB that's girl land !! You ought to hear these Dynaco's woth my Lascalas crystal clear ultra bottom end control at would you believe 112 db last night and I really think they had a bunch more in them. My ears just could take no more !! What's great is they sound very respectable at one watt too !!

Craig

Craig,

What I meant by the "yikes" is that it really didn't sound that loud. I was surprised it was at 100 dB. Also, please realize that wife, 11 month old and 3 year old were in the house... this is a good thing over the long haul or I'd be a deaf man.

Mace