Newbie designation is important

Audio Flynn

Some forums do not have this system for knowing the frequeny of participation. I think this works well.

For example when it is said bass is not "competant at 16-28hz".

I wonder what few musical instruments besides organ are competent at 16 hz.

Could a better musican than I provide a list to this lowly "Freak"?

And perhaps microphones are not too competent at that frequeny either.

OR

"techno I played did not sound controlled"

If one is making a long term investment in an audio product I would recommend using natural instruments for a greater emphasis on auditioning and demos.

Example:

Piano

horns(through horns oh my!)

accoustic bass

Accoustic guitar(CSNY, Michael Hedges or any guitar music on Narada CDs is quite good)

Strings

Gibson Les Paul guitar through a tube amp(Pete Townsend, Joe Perry, or Neil Young to name a few

CDs to demo equipment recommendations:

Last of the Mohicans soundtrack

Patricia Barber Companion

Neil Young Silver and Gold

Cheap NAXOS classical recoommended by TAS reviewers(they are snooty and picky)

Would like to know other music people think is good for auditions.

Vent over!

Rick

----------------

On 1/18/2003 9:53:47 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

For example when it is said bass is not "competant at 16-28hz".

I wonder what few musical instruments besides organ are competent at 16 hz.

Could a better musican than I provide a list to this lowly "Freak"?
----------------

I'm not trying to bill my self as an exellent musician(i'm just a bass player your honor) but a standard tuned electric bass only goes down to about 45 hertz if I remember right.

I think that 45Hz is a low "E" note.

Peace, Josh

Bass player here too (acoustic & electric). 5 string basses can go down B (standard tuning) which is about 30Hz. Drop tuning to B flat or A (piano lowest note) will yield 29Hz & 27Hz respectively. You need adequate string length & gauge to do this (not to mention a strong instrument). I'm sure some of the large percussion instruments can get "down there". On the other hand, I'll leave it up to you to decide if something like Mickey Hart's "The Beast" is a musical instrument (or even "musical" for that matter). All I know is I have Doc Johnson Reference Recording with that thing & at one point it sounds like someone dropped a Mac truck onto the floor of an empty 10 story building from the 10th floor.

Playing Ranges of Some Instruments

Instrument Lower Limit, Approx. Upper Limit

Violin G3(196.0 Hz) E7(2637.0 Hz)

Viola C3(130.8 Hz) C6(1046.5 Hz)

Cello C2(65.4 Hz) E5(659.3 Hz)

Double Bass E1(41.2 Hz) B3(246.9 Hz)

Flute C4 (261.6 Hz) C7(2093.0 Hz)

Oboe Bb3(116.5 Hz) F6(1396.9 Hz)

English Horn Eb3(77.8 Hz) Bb5(932.3 Hz)

Clarinet(Bb) D3(146.8 Hz) Bb6(1864.7 Hz)

Bass Clarinet(Bb) D2(73.4 Hz) F5(698.5 Hz)

Bassoon Bb1(58.3 Hz) Bb5(932.3Hz)

Contrabassoon Bb0(29.1Hz) Eb3(155.6 Hz)

Horn(double, F & Bb) B1(61.7 Hz) F5(698.5 Hz)

Trumpet (Bb) E3(164.8 Hz) Bb5(932.3Hz)

Trombone(tenor) E2(82.4 Hz) Bb4(466.2 Hz)

Trombone(bass) B1(61.7 Hz) Bb4(466.2 Hz)

Timpani F2(87.3 Hz) F4(349.2 Hz)

Harp B0(30.9 Hz) G#7(3322.4 Hz)

References: Rossing, Science of Sound, p 219, White & White p 280

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/music/orchins.html

First of all that guy's list was embarrassing. Akin to those lists put out by car stereo magazines in the late 80s. That Spies Telarc disc anyone...anyone...It's like grocery store lite-jazz with 20Hz bass hits. Not my idea of fun. Although I totally agree that "real" instrument recordings should be used to evaluate equipment I also believe non-traditional recordings should be used if that's part of your listening diet. I listen to just as much electronic-based music as I do acoustic jazz so I want them BOTH to sound great. What's the use if the Max Roach disc sounds fine but the Steve Roach disc sounds like a duck fart? Why are synthesizers not considered "real"? Are they imaginary? What about unique instruments as used by Michael Stearns(the Lyra Harp for instance-a 156 string micro-tonally tuned 20 ft high harp that hits pretty damn low)? What about the almighty Lustmord? I've tried telling people about this guy's recordings on this board for a long time now and I think mikestehr is the only one who actually went out and made a purchase. He can also attest to the sub-30Hz bass content on his recordings. He records natural earth phenomena such as tectonic plates moving, underground volcanic activity & natural chasms mixed with synth work. The Place Where The Black Stars Hang or Metavoid are both good starters for his work. 5 or 6 discs that I take to demo: Michael Hedges-Aerial Boundaries or John Fahey for acoustic guitar, Michael Stearns-The Lost World, The Storm or Sorcerer for otherworldly EXCELLENTLY recorded electronic soundscapes, Lustmord-The Place Where The Black Stars Hang for low bass activity, Peace Orchestra-Peace Orchestra for a happy medium of DEEP dub-influenced bass lines, live drums and synth work, Miles Davis-In A Silent Way or Marcus Roberts-Deep In The Shed(jazz-heads should track down this sleeper) for electric and acoustic jazz & something to rock out with like Faith No More-The Real Thing or Sleater Kinney-All Hands On The Bad One. Am I out of line wanting both acoustic("real"?) AND electronic instruments to sound good?