SVS WOOFER QUESTION

vandec54

The subs are essentially identical (same enclosure size, same porting, same tuning, same driver, very close to same amount of power) except for a few things. Some people have problems with gain on the Sampson amps as they are ment for pro use (not many though, and a cheap radio shack component can solve the problem). The PCi has a subsonic filter that will slope off bass below the tuning point of the sub protecting the driver from bottoming. The PCi has some more connectivity options built into the plate amp (although for the most part you won't want to use them so some what of a moot point). The CS is more expensive buying one, while the PCi is more expensive buying two (Sampson amp will power 2 subs). Sampson amps do have fan noise though.

So the deciding factors for me would be fan noise, and whether I might plan on adding a second sub later.

Other options for the CS are to get the Parts Express 250W plate amp, or see if you can find a used proamp (our just pick up a QSC RMX850 as it's $50 cheaper than the Sampson; fan noise still an issue though).

• 2 weeks later...

I have twin SVS Ultra's with the sampson amp and like the combo. I do think the connectivity options offered by the powered versions are very nice to have. For example you have the option of connecting the subs via line level or speaker level connections. I found with my set-up I liked speaker level connections better (had to purchase an outboard speaker level crossover box for that with my passive subs).

I also feel having a variable phase contorl for each sub in a multi-sub set-up is a must. Unless you co-locate the subs, you may have to phase the subs differently if you want to squeeze out maximum bass quality. The SVS powered subs have this feature.

I have achieved all of the above using outboard boxes. Having done this I think I would have prefered SVS subs with built in amps and their features just for the convenience? And yes the standalone Sampson amp does have some fan noise. This will be more or less of an issue depending on room size and amp location.

Doug C.

I think dual 25-31s might not be the best choice (a lot of loud but won't go as low as the bigger SVSs). I have one 25-31 PC+ in a very large room and I wouldn't want two of those babies. 6.gif However; I really don't know jack on what would be right for you. Contact Tom V at SVS. He'll take the time to let you know what's best (and not necessarily the most expensive either.)

techsupport@svsubwoofers.com

Dustin-

Could you please clarify the "Some people have problems with gain on the Sampson amps as they are ment for pro use (not many though, and a cheap radio shack component can solve the problem)"

This is the first I have heard of any interconection problems....What are you refering too?? The most problems that ppl have had is that this sub amp is their first trip into "seperates" and they often have ground loop problems.

-Dave

I forget what the voltages are, but pro stuff uses a much higher voltage than the home stuff. The result is some home stuff can't provide a hot enough signal to get the Sampson to put out properly. Some searches on avsforum.com and hometheaterforum.com will bring up more specifics.