Help with Hooking up Turntable

dko009009

I am trying to find out how if I need banana jacks, which ones, for new Klipsch R-40 M speakers. I stripped the wires and connected to audio technica 120 turntable then to receiver then twisted the stripped wires around the black and red screws behind the speakers. The speakers sound very scratchy. I am not sure why the sound is so distorted and scratchy. Should I switch the stripped speaker wire and add banana jacks? Can someone please help. I am new to turntable, receivers and speakers. 

• Moderators
On 4/29/2023 at 7:50 PM, dko009009 said:

I am trying to find out how if I need banana jacks, which ones, for new Klipsch R-40 M speakers. I stripped the wires and connected to audio technica 120 turntable then to receiver then twisted the stripped wires around the black and red screws behind the speakers. The speakers sound very scratchy. I am not sure why the sound is so distorted and scratchy. Should I switch the stripped speaker wire and add banana jacks? Can someone please help. I am new to turntable, receivers and speakers. 

Welcome to the Forum. First, what receiver do you have and does it have a phono input? It seems like you are saying that you stripped the wires from the turntable to the receiver? I’m assuming that is a mistake, as the turntable outputs should be rca male jacks that need a phono input on your receiver. 

if your receiver doesn’t have a phono input that is your problem.

Travis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

Welcome to the Forum. First, what receiver do you have and does it have a phono input? It seems like you are saying that you stripped the wires from the turntable to the receiver? I’m assuming that is a mistake, as the turntable outputs should be rca male jacks that need a phono input on your receiver. 

if your receiver doesn’t have a phono input that is your problem.

Travis

A number of the AT 120 series turntables have a built in phono preamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 7:50 PM, dko009009 said:

Banana plugs won’t help.

I’d suggest posting your question elsewhere instead of within someone’s Garage Sale post.

You need RCA cables between turntable out and receiver input

Speaker wire between receiver speaker outputs and the klipsch r-40

If you’re connecting the turntable and speakers to the same place on the receiver, I suggest you read the manuals.