What amp for la scallas?

JRuss

"Tube amp pushing 35 watts" is not enough to tell anything. It is plenty of power, but may not sound good. That depends on what it is and how it's been cared for.

You might consider a NAD L40 or its replacement the L70(?). They are modestly powered receivers with built-in CD players.

Craig (NOS440) has put just about every amp known to mankind through his, although he likes listening at Richter Scale measurements of 7.8 or so. I'm not sure how you like your music. If you want TV et al. and all those conveniences, and maybe plan to go 5.1 sometime, a SS receiver would be the ticket.

OTOH, if you like 2-channel tunes, give you tube amp a good listening, or follow some of the recommendations of Craig and Kelly for Scott or Eico. Tubes and horns are nice for little money in the vintage area. If you score one that needs work, send it to Craig for a tune-up. You'll have a 2-ch keeper!

Back many years ago when I had LaScalas I liked them with a 200wpc Dynaco 400 SS amp. If you want the ultimate in dynamics from the speakers you'll need a big-hog amp despite the high-efficiency. But if you can get by with great, instead of ultimate dynamics, you can use less power.

And tonality and amp "sound" is involved too. Actually nobody can tell you much more than what THEY like, who knows if you'd like it too?

Personally I'd get a high-power QSC SS prosound amp. I've heard these lately on a couple of JBL Pro and ServoDrive horn rigs used in homes and they sounded really, really good. QSC is found in prosound stores and also at www.partsexpress.com