help with new made Klipsch RF-83 crossover build, amp cutting out when volume is increased

27 minutes ago, mboxler said:

Rats!  In my first post of this thread I said "I assume the bottom of the picture is input?".  Is that not true?  I'll rotate it and look again.  

On my first cup of coffee, but I'll gradually wake up.

the bottom of the picture is the connection for drivers, top is the connection for terminals 

22 minutes ago, senzlez2 said:

the bottom of the picture is the connection for drivers, top is the connection for terminals 

I’ll let @mboxler confirm, but that 3.6mh inductor at the top (input) should not be connected to ground.  One side connected to positive, and the other should connect to the 75uf cap only.  Cap to 8.2 resister, and then to ground. 

I'm very sorry.  Once I rotated the picture things got clearer.

I've drawn how one way to wire the circuit.  It follows the schematic in component order, although it could be wired other ways.  I'll try to write out what needs to be done.  Red is the positive path, Blue is the negative path.  The red circles mean no connection.

Woofer in + to 1.3mh in.

1.3mh out to Woofer out + AND 30uh in AND 8.2 ohm resistor in.

30uh out to ground.

8.2 ohm resistor out to 75uf in.

75uf out to 3.6mh in.

3.6mh out to ground.

Does that look right @winglet?  Still on my now cold first cup of coffee.

EDIT:  I rotated the picture 90 degrees.  Left is input right is output.

18506050_IMG_0260Large.thumb.jpeg.9fcc056b767574dea4387019aa0dc7c5.jpeg

@mboxler

Mike.  Take another look at his very first picture of the crossover.  If he removes the amp neg in connection to the 3.6mf inductor and instead connects it directly to the speaker out neg screw at the bottom, I think it fixes it.  

That inductor is shorting the amp to ground

Explains the .4ohm reading he’s getting when he connects the multimeter to the speaker input terminals on the speaker with the installed new crossover

27 minutes ago, winglet said:

@mboxler

Mike.  Take another look at his very first picture of the crossover.  If he removes the amp neg in connection to the 3.6mf inductor and instead connects it directly to the speaker out neg screw at the bottom, I think it fixes it.  

That inductor is shorting the amp to ground

Explains the .4ohm reading he’s getting when he connects the multimeter to the speaker input terminals on the speaker with the installed new crossover

I agree, but I think there are other issues.  Looks like the amplifier is directly connected to the 30uf capacitor.    I'll try another approach.  Hopefully clearer???

Connect Woofer IN- to Woofer OUT- (new black wire).

Connect Woofer IN+ to A (new red wire).

Connect B to Woofer OUT +.

Connect B to C.

Connect C to E.

Connect D to GROUND.

Connect F to G.

Connect H to I.

Connect J to GROUND.

161147400_Screenshot2023-05-14at14_34.09Medium.jpeg.4cc7b63e4023926ab16412d6c21b3670.jpeg

Add the ground wire as you showed.

On the + side, the 30uf cap input needs to be moved to after the 1.3uf inductor and then to ground.  D to B, and C to the ground woofer out screw.  His existing + wire to the 1.4uf in (A) looks like it is the same as your added red wire

(i think we’re saying the same thing, just connecting thru the 30uf cap in different directions)

15 minutes ago, winglet said:

On the + side, the 30uf cap input needs to be moved to after the 1.3uf inductor and then to ground.  D to B, and B to the ground woofer out screw.

In your case,  shouldn't he connect C to the ground woofer out screw?

1 hour ago, mboxler said:

In your case,  shouldn't he connect C to the ground woofer out screw?

Yes.  Corrected

@mboxler

Can you rewrite your flow of connections from left to right instead.  Input to output.  I think you have a mistake in there.

The 3.6mh inductor (J) shouldn’t go to ground.  It goes + wire (after 1.3mf inductor) -> 3.6 -> 75uf -> 8.2r -> ground (woofer neg output)

That’s the order on the schematic.  I think you’re going in the opposite direction with those 3 components.  Does the order matter?

@senzlez2, does the new layout make sense?  As @wingletpointed out, the inductor was the biggest problem.  The capacitor issue would have just made it sound different.

If my alphabet system works, I'll tag the tweeter circuit as I (we) see it should be just to be sure it's okay. 

We all started out where you are.  Don't be discouraged, it's a learning experience.

Mike

42 minutes ago, mboxler said:

@senzlez2, does the new layout make sense?  As @wingletpointed out, the inductor was the biggest problem.  The capacitor issue would have just made it sound different.

If my alphabet system works, I'll tag the tweeter circuit as I (we) see it should be just to be sure it's okay. 

We all started out where you are.  Don't be discouraged, it's a learning experience.

Mike

yes im about to follow your layout, on both crossovers, I will report back :D thanks for the help so far :)