Cornwall 4 vs Lascala AL-5

Flevoman

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 7:49 PM, Flevoman said:

My local hi-fi dealer is offering a demo pair of Lascala LA-5 speakers for sale. Although the price is not yet determined, I expect a favorable price given the fact that one speaker has a blemish on the veneer. It's something I don't mind, by the way. Next week, I will be testing some amplifiers, and I also want to listen to the Lascala as I'm really interested in it. Maybe I'll even trade in my CW4 for the Lascala AL-5.

Arethere people who have been able to directly compare the CW4 with the Lascala AL-5? What are your findings? Where did the Lascala excel compared to the CW4, and what might the CW4 be better at than the Lascala?

I listen to tube amplifiers and have a living room that is 12 meters deep and 5.5 meters wide. The speakers are positioned in the middle of the long wall. I mainly listen to organic music, jazz, blues, vocals, acoustic music, and light pop. I know that the Lascala produces less bass, and my intention is not to add a subwoofer to the system. One question I have is, even though I'm not a bass-head, whether the lack of low-end will be a problem for the type of music I listen to.

Was the dealer atubehighfidelity in Almere?

So after listening to the Lascala's.Was it worth it?

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Was the dealer atubehighfidelity in Almere?

So after listening to the Lascala's.Was it worth it?

Yes, that's correct, that was them.
And yes, I really love the sound of the AL5!!
Unfortunately, I have a little issue around 100Hz-150Hz which makes the speaker less enjoyable. But I'm working on it and I assume this will be resolved.
Not counting this little issue, I am very happy with these speakers.

So I presume you are Dutch? 😉

49 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Yes, that's correct, that was them.
And yes, I really love the sound of the AL5!!
Unfortunately, I have a little issue around 100Hz-150Hz which makes the speaker less enjoyable. But I'm working on it and I assume this will be resolved.
Not counting this little issue, I am very happy with these speakers.

So I presume you are Dutch? 😉

Yes.Visited atube a few times last year.Had a chance to listen to their Jubilees.Forgot  to listen to the Lascala's though.

15 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

@Maggie If you've already listened to the Jubilee, it's pointless to then listen to the La Scala 😄

I don't t know.Is bigger always better? 

I live in a house.Not a theater.

Those were huge!!!

IMG_20230726_112655~2.jpg

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

You should actually go there and listen again. They've changed the space and improved both the acoustics and the speaker setup. Whether bigger is always better, I doubt. But the Jubilee does sound noticeably better than the AL5.

20240106_145227.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Whether bigger is always better, I doubt.

There is no replacement for displacement...

all other things being equal, you can not mimic 'scale'...