Quality control issues on the RF-7's??

shoe11

Anybody else who owns them ever had an quality control issues with them? I completely love their sound, but they keep pissing me off a bit. I simply can't get a perfectly clean pair. At least yet anyways.

The story is I upgraded to the RF-7's the end of last year. When I unboxed them, one speaker's finish was streaked and almost appeared scratched. I told my dealer of this problem and he went ahead and ordered a replacement for me no questions asked. Over the past few weeks I've also noticed that after powering down my Rotel gear, approximately 5 to 10 seconds later the same speaker releases what can best be described as a low whistling sound. The left channel by contrast is perfectly finished and has not made a sound that is not intended.

So tonight I pack up the speaker that is to be replaced, take it to my dealer and he gives me a nice new one with hopefully a perfect finish and no other issues. As an aside I must say that even though I've already owned them for around 3 months now, it's still exciting to unwrap a new one! 9.gif I was so happy to be getting the replacement that tonight I even went ahead and ordered my own RSW-15 to replace my RSW-12. Needless to say I was very excited leaving the store tonight.

Well I get the new RF-7 home, put the spikes on and inspect the finish. Completely perfect! Not a flaw, blemish, etc. Nothing. So I'm very happy. Thinking everything is going fine I check the serial# for the hell of it and see Brenda's signature just like the others and I'm thinking to myself..."ok Brenda this thing better be perfect cuz you've signed off on it and I'm going to be hating life if it isn't." Well thinking everything is going to be alright I then sit down to remove the adapters from the binding posts as I run bi-wires and don't need them. Everything seems to be going fine, until I take a look at the black binding post for the left pair. It's already completely unscrewed. Very odd as the others are always completely screwed in. Well the adapters come right off and I proceed to screw the plastic caps back down so I can pop the little caps off to insert my banana plugs. This is where my happiness ended.

The damn plastic cap that was backed out is actually completely crossed threaded on the binding post. I tried to turn it clockwise to free it, but of course no luck. Next I try to go counter clockwise and the complete binding post comes free of the speaker and now I can't get it to thread at all. Finally after messing with it for a while, I just said the hell with it and called my dealer back. I'd rather try another brand new one then mess with this one. I told him the finish was fine, but Brenda or someone dropped the ball on this one. How it was allowed to leave the factory crossthreaded I have no idea. Anyway I'm in luck in that my dealer has another new one available for me. So I'll pack up yet another RF-7 and do the exhange again tomorrow. Hopefully the 4th unit will give me exactly what I've always wanted, two identically perfect RF-7's.

Sorry if I rambled on, but as fellow devoted Klipschers, I'm sure you can understand how bummed out tonight's episode has made me. First thing I thought after I realized I only had one RF-7 available tonight was "What the hell am I gonna do without my Klipsch tonight? 9.gif I just needed to vent a bit and I'm curious to know if anyone else has had trouble in getting a perfect pair.

~shoe

Shoe, Shoe, Shoe!!

You finally got a perfect box, don't do this!

Just use a nut and screw it on the post, and have klipsch send you a new post. It's 5 minutes work to unscrew the back plate, pop it out, unhook the wire, unscrew the old post, screw the new one in, pop and screw the plate back in, and you be ready to roll. That's it!

If you are prone to impatience, I'll send one out for you tomorrow. I just replaced mine with some Cardas posts, and have spares. Just pay the shipping and it's yours for the asking.

Hey shoe ,I totally know how you feel,I had three rc7's,one w/big scratch,one w/front falling off,no kidding right out of sealed box,the one I have now w/uneven mitres that could cut you!Also one of my rf7's have a big smere in the laquer finish ,like you touched it when it was wet,and is textured like an orange.I love the sound,but must say I have had elcheapo's with better fit/finish.I am not bashing at all,again I love the sound and AM a big Klipsch fan,but the truth is ,very poor quality control.Also I should say these were all purchased at a local Klipsch auth. dealer.I too am buying the rsw 15,and if it is faulty,I may trade the whole set in.8.gif

To tell you the truth when one had a bad finish I would of made them get me 2 new consecutive serial number speakers myself. Seems like it will take the new one for ever to break in like the one you have been using. Also aren't these speakers considered worth more if the number are consecutive ?

Craig

Craig~

Yeah that was a concern of mine as well regarding one already having a number of hours on it relative to the other. When I bought them I also asked on here what people thought of them not being consecutive serials regarding value. From the responses I received, no one seemed to believe that would be much of an issue if I went to sell them. The first set were seperated by a few, but now of course I'm way off and break in time between them will always be substantially off even if both have perfect finishes.

Dean~

Well I took the backing plate off and completely removed the problem binding post. The plastic nut is completely sealed on the post so I would definitely need to get a new one. I simply can't break it free.

I think at this point I'm going to take Craig's suggestion and request my dealer to get me in a new consecutive pair.

Guess I'll be without 2-channel fun for a while. Let's see how hard my dealer tries to talk me into a pair of LaScalas or the Sonus Grand Pianos when I tell him I want a new pair of 7's. 9.gif

~shoe

It took the third pair before I got 2 good ones. The first pair were damaged in shipping, the second had a bad spot in the veneer on the top front corner and the other had a ding that were Klipsch's fault. (Poor inspection) Both the first 2 pair were consecutive serial #'s. The 3rd pair were about 5 #'s apart but otherwise fine. I was worried about that at first but was assured by others on this forum that it means nothing. They sound good, look good and I'm not going thru another delivery. I'm happy.

Congratulations shoe,

Hope you enjoy the "perfect" pair. That said, does anyone else have issues with the idea you must pick up 3 pairs of speakers to find one quality set???

Does Klipsch have issues with the number of pairs they are absorbing back into their channel or were those speakers destined for the gray market anyways?