Forte IV versus Magico A5

Fido

16 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Doubtful. Those two aren’t even in the same area code.

I know the magico lists for near $28,000 and the Forte IVs list for $5,000 but I would like to know if anyone has heard both speakers. There are some Magico A5s for sale locally for under $20,000 

10 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Understood. And although someone may have heard both, probably not in the same room with the same system. I’m sure they are so different in their presentation that potential customers aren’t cross shopping them.  But ya never know.

I assume you are right on this Shakey but id love to try some super high end speakers like Focal Sopra of Magico A5s etc - just to hear against my Forte IVs

6 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

PS

I absolutely loved my Forte 11

I love my Forte 1s and my Forte IVs and am only curious about high end Magico, Wilson, Tannoy, Focal etc. Its just a curiosity. Nothing more. I enjoy the Forte IVs very much and feel Id miss the dynamics if I ever switched them out for less efficient speakers. It is very easy to feel addicted to the sound of Klipsch Heritage efficiency.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

If you go with Magico you can kiss your tube amp goodbye.

I won’t be going Magico if my Tube Integrated has to go. I love my current system and don’t want to change thinking I will enjoy something different as if different is better.

6 hours ago, Fido said:

curious about high end Magico, Wilson, Tannoy, Focal

If you can find a pair of used Focal Electra 1038Be speakers, buy them!  The listed for around $12k and I'm still kicking myself (Mostly because of my career choice as a teacher and these not even remotely fitting into my budget) for not buying a pair several years ago when they could be found new, on clearance, for around $6K.

An audio buddy of mine has a set and they sound phenomenal in his listening area.  They replaced his trusty Forte II's (I know you said you had 1's and 4's, but at least his Forte II's were very similar to your Forte I's)  I just wish I could have been there the day he got the Focal's to do an A/B comparison... but no such luck.  However, he said he no longer has the Forte II's for a reason and he doesn't have buyer's remorse.  So, take that for whatever it's worth.

This is a stock photo from the web...

Focal Electra 1038 Be 2 (1038Be2) Kolumny stereo - 2szt

10 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

If you can find a pair of used Focal Electra 1038Be speakers, buy them!  The listed for around $12k and I'm still kicking myself (Mostly because of my career choice as a teacher and these not even remotely fitting into my budget) for not buying a pair several years ago when they could be found new, on clearance, for around $6K.

An audio buddy of mine has a set and they sound phenomenal in his listening area.  They replaced his trusty Forte II's (I know you said you had 1's and 4's, but at least his Forte II's were very similar to your Forte I's)  I just wish I could have been there the day he got the Focal's to do an A/B comparison... but no such luck.  However, he said he no longer has the Forte II's for a reason and he doesn't have buyer's remorse.  So, take that for whatever it's worth.

This is a stock photo from the web...

Focal Electra 1038 Be 2 (1038Be2) Kolumny stereo - 2szt

I've heard these, as well as the Kantas. I would take a good pair of horns over either of them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I've heard these, as well as the Kantas. I would take a good pair of horns over either of them.

This is the kind of feedback I’m looking for. My Forte IVs were purchased from Paducah and priced well below the $5,000 list retail price. A stock and arrived on pallet in perfect condition. Do these very expensive sound much better than my much less expensive heritage Horns?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fido said:

This is the kind of feedback I’m looking for. My Forte IVs were purchased from Paducah and priced well below the $5,000 list retail price. A stock and arrived on pallet in perfect condition. Do these very expensive sound much better than my much less expensive heritage Horns?

I haven't heard the Forte IV, but I owned the III. My buddy had a pair of Kanta 2s and they were very good. I'd say they were better in some ways than my Fortes, but in no way would I take them over my LS IIs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

My buddy had a pair of Kanta 2s and they were very good. I'd say they were better in some ways than my Fortes, but in no way would I take them over my LS IIs

Interesting.... I guess putting a dual 6.5" woofer system (66 sq in surface) in the Kanta's against a 15" woofer system(175 sq in surface) in the LaScallas, you would hope there would be some difference.  But what differences are you going to hear?  Loudness... obviously the LS would dominate.  However, I and many other people as they get older (and hopefully wiser) are more concerned about quality and detail.

A better comparison would be the Focal Sopras with dual 8" woofers.  (100 sq in surface)  My opinion is that they look a little too modern for my taste, but the sound....oh wow!

image.thumb.png.4a107278f08e8293713f0ea5f20b21d3.png

The Kantas were nicely detailed and very easy to listen to. Maybe a little more refined. Of course the bass went deeper than my lascalas. But dynamics are missing (of course!) by comparison, and the Kanta is not as engaging and fleshed out as the LS II. They are very good speakers, but like I said, I wouldn't swap 'em even for even. My buddy eventually moved on to Harbeths, but I thought the Kantas sounded better in his room.