Amp suggestions for RF7 IIIs

skypig

11 minutes ago, skypig said:

I listened to a Hegel H390 yesterday. (The H190 is more in my price range)

It sounded great, but with completely different speakers/room/music it was impossible to compare with what I have. 

I also got the NAD back from the repair shop. 
I should be happy with the NAD. It sounds great to my ears. I just wonder if another would sound even better. And the NAD is living on borrowed time corrosion wise. 

One problem I have, is most of the suitable amps (power/price/sound wise) come with a phono stage and a DAC built in. So I figure I’m paying $A1-2k for stuff I don’t want. 

I’ve found a Rotel Michi X3 with $A1500 off (which kind of gives me the unwanted Phono stage and DAC for free). If I had to buy a new amp today, it would be that one. (I’m heard) But I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow. 

Typing this listening to my delightful Rf7IIIs 😊

has it passed you by that vinyl is still not extinguished ? On the contrary, vinyl has been more popular than ever for years, which is why many manufacturers are  offering amps with a phono section again. The dac is used for streaming purposes , so both together fit the modern market standard demands for hifi amps. 

• Like 1

Class D for Klipsch...I had Pioneers top line avr SC-37 with ICE amps. It sounded pretty good and powerful. No better or really worse than any decent A /AB. A good pre is where to put the money. A good amp should sound good ,no more, no less. Power wise, yeah, get plenty power, regardless of sensitivity blah blah. A few hundred watts for 7's.  Maybe a superior design will offer the same slam with less rated power, maybe....My experience with all 7's, more power, better sound even at 80db. ALL imo

• Like 4

On 7/13/2023 at 12:27 PM, MicroMara said:

has it passed you by that vinyl is still not extinguished ? On the contrary, vinyl has been more popular than ever for years, which is why many manufacturers are  offering amps with a phono section again. The dac is used for streaming purposes , so both together fit the modern market standard demands for hifi amps. 

It certainly has not passed me by. I have a high end phono amp, with seperate power supply, so don’t need to pay extra for a cheap inbuilt phono stage that I wont use.
Likewise, my current DAC is part of my streamer - my CD transport also utilizes this DAC. Again, it’s unlikely the inbuilt DAC would be superior.

Some amps I’ve seen offer modules, at extra cost, if you want an inbuilt phono stage, or DAC, which seems a good option.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, skypig said:

It certainly has not passed me by. I have a high end phono amp, with seperate power supply, so don’t need to pay extra for a cheap inbuilt phono stage that I wont use.
Likewise, my current DAC is part of my streamer - my CD transport also utilizes this DAC. Again, it’s unlikely the inbuilt DAC would be superior.

Some amps I’ve seen offer modules, at extra cost, if you want an inbuilt phono stage, or DAC, which seems a good option.

LoL ..I just mentioned that , I never said that I prefer inbuilt phono or dac solutions were my favors ...I´ll agree to what you´ve written to 100%

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 6:58 PM, Fish said:

Class D for Klipsch...I had Pioneers top line avr SC-37 with ICE amps. It sounded pretty good and powerful. No better or really worse than any decent A /AB. A good pre is where to put the money. A good amp should sound good ,no more, no less. Power wise, yeah, get plenty power, regardless of sensitivity blah blah. A few hundred watts for 7's.  Maybe a superior design will offer the same slam with less rated power, maybe....My experience with all 7's, more power, better sound even at 80db. ALL imo

Transients may draw substantial power for a short period

Drum sets in particular

• Like 3

The Michi X3 gets universally good reviews. 

I can’t really audition one.

I could buy one and the results could be:

1. Can’t hear any difference - oops!

2. Wow, I’ve never heard that before - the detail, the sound stage, the power!! - I wish I bought it a year ago. (This is exactly what happened when I replace speakers I was “happy” with, with the RF7III’s!!)

3. I “think” it’s a little “better”, maybe.

Edited by skypig
Speaker note added.
  • Like 2