Heresy HD-BR Roadkill with dead K77

So as luck would have it I scored a pair of Heresy HD-BR sitting on the side of the road today. The cabinets are a little rough, but I think I can make them presentable. Need some advice on what's the best approach to getting the speakers operational. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to restoring speakers so I'd like to stay with original components unless it's too costly. Excited to have some horns in my house again!

K-77 Tweeter:

After connecting to an amplifier only one tweeter (K-77) is working. I swapped it to the other cabinet and the problem followed the tweeter so I know it's not in the crossover network. I've read in other posts I can possibly send off for repair to Klipsch or Great Plains. Would it be advisable to go ahead a get new diaphragms for both sides or only the non-working tweeter? I don't want to have mismatched levels.

K-22 Woofer:

Both woofers work, but each has a pushed in dust cap and one side has a decent tear in the cone. I think I can do the old toilet paper roll fellatio trick on the dust caps to pull them into better shape, but what about the tear? I'm tempted to try a glue repair since the tear is not into the surround. Thoughts?

Anything else I should be immediately concerned with?

truck.jpg

inside enlosure.jpg

cracked woofer.jpg

• Like 2

Yoy may want to remove the torn woofer to make it easier... on the back side, use a smallish piece of cigarette paper or similar. 

I'm out of country and don't remember the name of the original product I use, but you can use something like the clear, non foaming gorilla glue. Put some on the back of the split/tear, press piece of cigarette paper over it. You can smooth a later over that. Just wear ruber gloves and don't use too much. You could also use a very fine gauze.

The clear Gorilla Glue stays flexible.

The glue I used you could thin with water a tiny bit and brush on with a small artists brush and you didn't need to hurry as much, could do multiple coats. It's awesome ... I'll try to find it and post it. I repaired speakers for friends that have been fine for years now.

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

Yoy may want to remove the torn woofer to make it easier... on the back side, use a smallish piece of cigarette paper or similar. 

I'm out of country and don't remember the name of the original product I use, but you can use something like the clear, non foaming gorilla glue. Put some on the back of the split/tear, press piece of cigarette paper over it. You can smooth a later over that. Just wear ruber gloves and don't use too much. You could also use a very fine gauze.

The clear Gorilla Glue stays flexible.

The glue I used you could thin with water a tiny bit and brush on with a small artists brush and you didn't need to hurry as much, could do multiple coats. It's awesome ... I'll try to find it and post it. I repaired speakers for friends that have been fine for years now.

Appreciate the tips. Looking at the shape of the basket I think you're right about removing the woofer.

First, if/when you take the woofer out, pay attention to the polarity, so you can reconnect it correctly.

You can use a wet Q-tip and smear around some Weldbond on a saucer, slightly thinning it. Then smear some on the Back of the woofer cone where the tear is located. Then put the tissue or other strong weave patch on the glue. Smooth it out and let it dry. Then put another thinned out coat or two, letting the glue dry.

You will have added a negligable amount of mass to the cone, not enought to change the parameters of the woofer. You shouldn't need to put any glue on the front.

It should take less than half an hour with the woofer out of the cabinet.

BTW, this can be used to do some repairs of rubber surrounds as well. I fixed a friend set of JBLs that had splits in the surrounds. Fortumately, no pieces were missing.

I stopped at one of the local convenience stores and picked up a pack of Zig-Zag cigarette papers. The paper is thin but pretty strong. I used an artists paint brush and brushed on some slightly thinned Weldbond on the back side of the surround. When it drided I did a couple more coats... after that, knowing how those surrounds tend to split I bushed on thinned coats over the entire back and front of the surrounds on both speakers. It dries clear and you couldn't see it a couple feet away. Plus, he always left the grills on.

It't been over 15 years and they are still working ok.

On 7/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, Bell Curve said:

K-77 Tweeter:

After connecting to an amplifier only one tweeter (K-77) is working. 

K-22 Woofer:

Both woofers work, but each has a pushed in dust cap and one side has a decent tear in the cone 

the tweeter  diaphragm may be repairable or it may be burnt ,  1st  unscrew the horn assembly  ,  the 2 leads are soldered to the voice coil , check for continuity   ,  1 lead may be split   , if the voice coil is burnt crisp , the diaphragm  is toast  .

as far as the woofer repair,  black rubber cement  speaker glue used for reconing  speaker cones is ideal  , or   hot glue or wood glue  

https://www.parts-express.com/Black-Rubber-Cement-Speaker-Repair-Glue-1-oz.-Bottle-340-078?quantity=1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the easy and quick route and replaced the tweeters and woofers (thanks to Dneu2011). Glad I did. How did I ever live without Klipsch horn speakers? I'm afraid these may dethrone the JBL Jubals I swore I'd never replace.

If anyone is interested in the old tweeters and woofers please let me know. I'd like them to be put back into use if possible. Would be a shame to toss them.

up and running heresys.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bell Curve said:

Took the easy and quick route and replaced the tweeters and woofers (thanks to Dneu2011). Glad I did. How did I ever live without Klipsch horn speakers? I'm afraid these may dethrone the JBL Jubals I swore I'd never replace.

If anyone is interested in the old tweeters and woofers please let me know. I'd like them to be put back into use if possible. Would be a shame to toss them.

up and running heresys.jpg

Congrats... could place advert in the garage sale here.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Btw, nice set and, what is the silver face receiver...

Thanks.

It's Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner. For when I want instant music without dropping a needle or clicking a mouse button. Lives on the jazz station 91.9FM WCLK station in Atlanta.

• Like 1

Which are your new tweeters, K77 alnico like you have had them seen in your pics or K77M with ferrite square magnets? If your „new“ tweeters are K77M if I were you I would keep the alnicos for a later repair. In my 1977 LaScalas I also replaced the original alnicos with ferrites and I was happy to go back to the alnicos after a workshop had repaired them, but that is just me.

Another very small but very sound-improving piece of advice. Get new sealing rings for the K55V drivers. A matter of a few cents but a great sonic gain. The old sealing rings are most likely dried out and crumbly. To do this, simply unscrew the driver.

21 hours ago, Bell Curve said:

Thanks.

It's Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner. For when I want instant music without dropping a needle or clicking a mouse button. Lives on the jazz station 91.9FM WCLK station in Atlanta.

I guess that mean you are in the Atlanta area. There're other Klipscheads down there, and a bunch up here in the Chattanooga area.