Jbl Hartsfield on e-bay

michael hurd

I never heard them, but they are susposed to be a

nice sounding horn system. There is a speaker company that is making them today. I have some information on this company somewhere.

When I first saw a picture of the home version of the Jubilee that was my thought. Look they copied the Hartsfield horn. I believe the Jubilee to be like a Lascala facing into the corner. The horn foldings are different yet simular.

A couple of years ago I drew to scale my idea of how to fold the LaScala more so the mouth of the horn would now be at the back of the LaScala. I was trying to make a longer horn with a slower expansion rate and larger mouth to gain a lower cutoff frequency. After seeing drawings of the Jubilee I realize that I wasn't too far off. I have to change the expansion rate of the throat some to better match the Jubilee.

I do believe that the Jubilee isn't a new horn design. It's a tweaked copy of some of the older proven bass horn designs. I also think that the hartsfield might be a close relative.

the hartsfield does sound great (Someone in el salvador has one driven by McIntosh tube amps, who'd a thunk it?) but for that kinda money you could get new k-horns and a nice pair of amps or speaker cables and avoid any age related problems. or, god forbid, a pair of cone speakers like revel studios. unless you are a degenerate collector I don't think 10k for those is a good buy...YMMV, etc. blah, blah. regards, tony

I heard the CAR speakers last year in Lima. Not his Hartsfield reproduction but a Cornwall kind of thing: 15" vented and mid horn and tweeter horn. All drivers and horns were TAD. I was underwhelmed given the speaker's price which was 20 grand the pair or something like that. A very good speaker but nothing that opened new worlds or even sounded better than many horns I've heard that were MUCH cheaper. And not as good as Bruce's Titans or any number of Altecs and JBLs I've heard that's for sure. And certainly not as good as a Khorn. My opinion.

THe guy who made the speakers refused to play any music that didn't make his speakers sound good to him, when I had him play a Roxy Music record he didn't like the sound of the record and took it off right away, weird.

LOL funny story tom! I heard an original here in salvador and it soudned quite good, I would have thought an upgraded (TAD!) version would sound great...but just goes to show, there really was a golden age of audio...glad I have my k-horns. tony