Pass Labs Wayne’s Preamp with Academy Audio Muses control

Dneu2011

I built this preamp to experiment with the well regarded muses volume control used in Pass Labs preamps and integrated amps. This is the preamp design from Wayne Colbourne at PassLabs offered at Burning Amp 2018 and sold on DiyAudio. 

I used the LPS9 power supply from Academy Audio along with an older model VCX. The result is a very musical and clean sounding preamp and I followed the App notes recommended by them. 

The unit has two inputs, two outputs, a headphone out, remote for volume/mute and nice illuminated power button. I used a 1U galaxy chassis from Modushop Hifi2000. 

I’m asking $400 plus shipping. 

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A very nice linestage I have built and own myself though not as nice looking as this one. For those that do not know Wayne Colburn designs the linestages, sometimes inaccurately called preamps, for Passlabs. My understanding is a preamp has a phono stage. Check the prices for a linestage at Passlabs and you will be shocked at the prices his designs demand. 

No affiliation with seller or his ability for diy but from all appearances and choice of parts it looks well made. Excellent design with all the circuitry one desires in a linestage. Not a cheap build for a diy'er by the way.  

For sure the heart and soul of a good preamp is the type of attenuation used. I bet this design sounds far better than a high dollar box using a cheap ALPs pot.

As for the moniker of "preamp" when used for a passive device, my take on it is this. No, it doesn't amplify anything. But it does come before the amplifier, so I think "preamplifier" is appropriate in that sense.

GLWS...

• 7 months later...