Replace Capacitors?

tragusa3

On 9/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, tragusa3 said:

Caps came in today!  I want to tackle it tomorrow.  However, every instruction I see online shows the AA with 3 capacitors.  Quite simple to replace, IF YOU HAVE THREE.  I have four capacitors as shown in the photo.  Can anyone point me to some install instructions?  

Maybe I just pull it all apart and follow the instructions I see for changing 3 olds for 3 news?  I guess that's all I can do.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi, Tony!  When I went to replace the 32-year-old caps in my La Scalas' AA crossovers, I found THREE cans stacked at one spot, so that was something like 5 caps per speaker, but after they were replaced with just the three modern ones, the speakers sounded much better.

Have you noticed a difference, and can you put it into words?  Some qualities can be hard to describe.

As for your solder joints, if current passes through them, there isn't so much solder that they're touching something next to them, and they don't come apart when you give them a tug, they should be fine.  Fun, right?

• Like 2

It was well into the night before I had things back together.  I listened for only 15 minutes.

I'm terrible at putting things into words, but I'll try.  It is very possible that I'm only hearing the things that have been planted in my brain by reading others.  That said, I noticed a shimmer in the highs that I didn't have before.  Crash cymbals had more shine on them.  I also noticed detail and even sound field improvements.  My wife didn't notice anything. 

It sounds very sweet.  My room has been tweaked to death for 15 years now, and at no point has it sounded as good as it is right now.  I need to stop messing around with things.

• Like 4

I've had an opportunity now for a few hours of listening.  I'm ready for doubters, but here goes...

I'm not going to write anything eloquent, mostly because I can't.  But, my system has NEVER sounded this good. I know it intimately and am confident I can pick out even very small changes.  But I can understand if some think this is in my head.

Here's some bullet points that come to mind.

-warmth and smoothness

-shimmer in the highs, with reduced harshness

-increased clarity and detail

-larger sound stage

If it gets better with some burn-in, that would be great!  Easily justifies the $60 spent.

I can't imagine anyone that enjoys audio listening to this and not smiling.

Thanks to all for your input.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

I've had an opportunity now for a few hours of listening.  I'm ready for doubters, but here goes...

I'm not going to write anything eloquent, mostly because I can't.  But, my system has NEVER sounded this good. I know it intimately and am confident I can pick out even very small changes.  But I can understand if some think this is in my head.

Here's some bullet points that come to mind.

-warmth and smoothness

-shimmer in the highs, with reduced harshness

-increased clarity and detail

-larger sound stage

If it gets better with some burn-in, that would be great!  Easily justifies the $60 spent.

I can't imagine anyone that enjoys audio listening to this and not smiling.

Thanks to all for your input.

Excellent... thanks!

• Like 1