Chorus 2 (II) XO Restore

gotoma8

Hi All,

I purchased a pair of Chorus IIs that came with the Crites XO.  The previous owner, sadly, can't find the original XO and so I wanted to make my own.

I know that Klipsch likes to use the autoformer for the inductor, especially for the bass.  I was wondering if I can just use air coil inductors of the same value instead?

I am not a big fan of the Sonicap Gen I or II caps as I think they are too detailed and not a good fit for the Chorus.

So, is it okay to use the regular air coil inductors?

Thanks

• Klipsch Employees
40 minutes ago, gotoma8 said:

Hi All,

I purchased a pair of Chorus IIs that came with the Crites XO.  The previous owner, sadly, can't find the original XO and so I wanted to make my own.

I know that Klipsch likes to use the autoformer for the inductor, especially for the bass.  I was wondering if I can just use air coil inductors of the same value instead?

I am not a big fan of the Sonicap Gen I or II caps as I think they are too detailed and not a good fit for the Chorus.

So, is it okay to use the regular air coil inductors?

Thanks

@Deang dean could probably make these for you. 

I can get very close.

You're lucky. The working inductance on the output tap of the T5A autoformer is the same as tap 3 on the T2A. I have T2A's but no T5A's. I do not stock every part Klipsch ever used in these networks - just too expensive. However, the autoformer and capacitors are the most critical. What makes the most sense is to send me the networks and I will retrofit with the correct parts.

dgwescott@gmail.com

On 9/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, Deang said:

I can get very close.

You're lucky. The working inductance on the output tap of the T5A autoformer is the same as tap 3 on the T2A. I have T2A's but no T5A's. I do not stock every part Klipsch ever used in these networks - just too expensive. However, the autoformer and capacitors are the most critical. What makes the most sense is to send me the networks and I will retrofit with the correct parts.

dgwescott@gmail.com

Hi, here's the schematic I am really looking for just the inductors as I plan to source the Caps and Resistors myself.

Please let me know what you are able to find.

Thank you!

chorus ii schematic.jpg

On 9/6/2023 at 5:21 PM, gotoma8 said:

I know that Klipsch likes to use the autoformer for the inductor, especially for the bass.

Can you point a part on the schematic that you are actually looking for. Klipsch never used autotrafo for bass although those inductors and autotransformers that Klipsch where including look similar (except of connectors of course). Possibly any inductor can be converted with some additional lead output to autotrafo but not sure if this is correct path for you.

3 hours ago, Bacek said:

Can you point a part on the schematic that you are actually looking for. Klipsch never used autotrafo for bass although those inductors and autotransformers that Klipsch where including look similar (except of connectors of course). Possibly any inductor can be converted with some additional lead output to autotrafo but not sure if this is correct path for you.

Yes sorry, I guess I meant the Autotransformers.  So I am looking for or could I just use air coil inductors for the 3.5mH, 1.75mH and 0.16mH?

You can but what is the point? It can get slightly worse or at least different results as resistance will probably different. What would you want to archive? You said that you have BEC XO. And if they work then they work. I you want to have an original XO then for it only 0,16h was air core. I'm not magic part believer. Changing one, not original XO, to another not original with same schematics will give not you much.

I understand that you may want to have original XO, but then T2A same as Bob's 3654 trafo (both are fine) are not stock for this speaker and if guys don't have stock of those then ebay is your only hope.

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

BS 

So you are saying T2A is stock autotransformer for Chorus II?

That is something new. But I would say BS

Or autoformer is not cored coil with additional hooks? I did not say it will be any good or even usable in this application but somehow it will work . That is just physics. I was just answering strange question.

See my first post. Inductance (11.4mH) on tap being used on the T5A (-6dB) is the same as Tap 3 on the T2A (-6 dB). Also notice that the 1.75mH is in parallel with both the autoformer and the driver. 

Unless the inductance of the 3654 or 3636 is the same (it’s not) as the T5A or T2A, you will not get the same result. Also, using a 3654 or 3636 now makes the 1.75mH value incorrect. 

As for the coils, the DCR also has to match.

This is why I no longer get involved in someone else’s DIY project. People don’t listen and they always know more than I do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

Sure, I get that T2A is good equivalent for this use aldough it's not stock/original for this crossover.

To make my point clear. What I ment. was If we are talking about restoring this XO then all staf needs to be in original specs (inductances, lcr's and so on) or there is no point to change anything.