Fake OEM Klipsch kg4s k-8-k woofers on eBay?

crodrig

Hi hope this isn't a repeat I am new to the forum, brought here because I recently picked up some kg4s and they're awesome but required some work to renew, which is really why I got them so I could learn. I needed two new woofers on one speaker so purchased through a reputable dealer on eBay, but the quality of the drivers I got vs the ones that are in my working speaker are pretty different. New pair has rubber surrounds that are very thin with a small corrugation, while the old ones have a wider corrugation and are tighter and kind of overall more substantial. Do people sell fakes on eBay and how could you tell otherwise? Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 11:03 PM, OO1 said:

the woofers sold on Ebay are aftermarkets  , a common 8 inch woofer    ,  the klipsch woofers are stamped K-8-K at the rear   , the cone is 2 tone

Thanks for the reply, they are stamped on the back and they look similar but just feel different. I hooked them up and generally they sound good. Could be the age of the rubber with different storage conditions? Anyway I'm enjoying rebuilding them best to keep an eye out for parts here probably. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a sansui au101 today for them as a tube amp is out of budget for a while. Mainly I am trying to learn how all of this works, there are so many different points of view on the topic and deeper understanding helps to sort through bad information. It's not quite clicking yet for the electronics side of things but I just keep trudging along. 

And I don't mean to paint a bad picture of the eBay merchant, it's mostly distrust of anything bought off the Internet thanks to Amazon I think. So much fake and poorly made crap out there humanity deserves better than manufacturers ripping off people. Hey maybe that's why hifi is so captivating, it's kind of like an homage to the spirit of pursuit of quality craftsmanship solely for the sake of enjoyment and feeling. And yet modern hifi is riddled with promises underdelivered. I believe good sound can be had for the common man, and music deserves it that's for sure. And if more people were able to have higher resolution playback then artists would be able to express more detail and nuance in their productions, increasing skill and creativity. Just wanted to ramble a bit.

8 hours ago, crodrig said:

...it's mostly distrust of anything bought off the Internet thanks to Amazon I think. So much fake and poorly made crap out there humanity deserves better than manufacturers ripping off people. ..

Yes; Amazon is a big contributor but I feel it's also the consumer's fault. First thing they look at is the price, and Amazon obliges by squeezing suppliers or selling cheap copies. It's truly a race to the bottom and the main reason I won't buy from Amazon.