How much is a pair of K-55-M drivers worth?

greg928gts

Greg,

The '02/'03 K-horn uses a K-55-X. It is a modern version of the solder terminal K-55-V. It is slightly different, though because the upper crossover frequency has been lowered and the output is about 1.5 dB less. There is a set of -Ms on ebay now, or there was a few days ago. If you buy them, I'll give you $75 each for your solder terminal -Vs. By all accounts, you can substitute one for the other without changing the crosover. If you want to switch drivers and update the crossover to Type AL/AK-3 configuration with regard to the squawker, the change is very easy. I have schematics.

IMHO, the 1981, solder terminal, K-55-Vs are the cream of the crop. I've had both and like the -Vs over the -Ms. Q-man and others prefer the -Ms, so you will have to be your own judge.

Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and bought the M's on ebay on impulse, before I really had enough information. I don't regret it though, my aim is to have newer parts and an overall upgraded set of Khorns. I'll be getting my ALK's soon.

I've already listed my V's on ebay at a start of $125 for the pair. Had I known, or been a little more patient before listing mine, I would have taken you up on your offer. I ended up paying $156 or so for the M's, plus shipping.

I've been shunting my V's down about 3db for a while now. As my ears and personal taste have changed over the years I find that I'm always needing to adjust things. I know I don't hear the way I used to.

How different, or better, do you think the X's sound as compared to the V's or M's? How much to do with the diaphram being different, vs. the age of drivers?

What do you know about the newest tweeter being used in the khorn? That's an upgrade that I think I'd like to explore. I always thought the tweeter could be improved in the Heritage series. I remember thinking this way back 20 years ago. The piezzo type driver is powerful and durable, but I think there are much better sounding tweets out there. Heck, I think my 20 yr. old Advents have a nicer sounding tweet! At least at lower volumes. I'm hoping that Klipsch has made some improvements with it. JMO

Greg

Hey John, If you do not need both of the K-55V drivers I would like to have one for my center channel La Scala that currently has the spring loaded version while my Belle's have the soldered on version. Any interest in splitting them or do you need both of them? Let me know as I was planning to bid on them, but just need one.

Frzninvt

Did you see the Heresy K-55's with horns on ebay? They looked like they were going pretty cheap. I don't know if that's exactly the same driver? In fact, when I saw it, I questioned whether they got the number of the driver wrong or not. I didn't know that the heresy had the same driver on the mid horn as a khorn does.

Greg

Al--

Other than the type of input/output connections and the two-part vs. one(?)-part phase plug, is there any other difference between a solder K-55-V solder-type and a K-55-V pin-type?

In other words, would it be possible to obtain a two-part phase plug from Atlas and install it in a K-77-V pin-type and get all the benefits of a solder-type?

Thanks.

I called Atlas a few years ago about the Klipsch modified phase plug and they had no idea what it was. It seemed they did not build the modified version for anybody else and had not built it since 1982, or 20 years ago. They may be building it now, though.