O'scope Service Question

boom3

I have a Tektronix 502A scope, all tubes. A battleship of its day. It still  works fine except for one little issue. The front panel is 60 v above ground. I am not equipped to work on tube gear. Anyone have an idea how this is  a happening? I have the tech manual for it.

TIA!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, boom3 said:

I have a Tektronix 502A scope, all tubes. A battleship of its day. It still  works fine except for one little issue. The front panel is 60 v above ground. I am not equipped to work on tube gear. Anyone have an idea how this is  a happening? I have the tech manual for it.

TIA!

I loved those scopes and they were built like a battleship. I would start with the power supply area.

JJK

I don't have an answer for you except to point you to this game changer. A 12 bit 2 channel for under $300.00 Rigol DHO802

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175959091278?hash=item28f7faa84e:g:ITAAAOSwSwhlJ~zE&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4HTlF%2Fd9zzPDdwvplEarJts5EY4UZjmCjOB%2F7MK%2Bo4ndM7%2FaePEKnHoSMF7szeHipys7rzUNzcORMiU2AHnSu1x2yLdBv7gsC3gj7l%2Bk%2BhqCdGPe8xLjXgvaZkSKYfQbFwfHiojWU7xlQs8BmtGplmQOCEAj9HnsCBv4OfHKRAQkHvHPo7sLNhOLBYKPS6%2BgPRHX%2Fsjj2O0hfo6TtDCdH1nusWg8Z2xCaDI9BCuO5O1%2BGj%2B8Pq0MSrjn2tH%2FVz%2B1ugttbUhu4h4yRGRT66fzvfFDwWOEd3ohTrZsLvJJSDNx|tkp%3ABk9SR9LqhdvtYg

70MHz, 1.25GSa/s, 2 channels

• 2 channels / 70MHz bandwidth
  • 12-bit resolution
  • 7" (1024 x 600) capacitive multi-touch screen
  • Small footprint - only 10.5"W x 6.4"H x 3.1"D
  • VESA mounting pattern on rear (100x100)
  • Digital phosphor display with real-time 256-level intensity grading
  • USB Device and Host, LAN, and HDMI interfaces
  • Real-time sample rate up to 1.25 GSa/s
  • Memory depth up to 25 Mpts
  • Capture rate up to 1,000,000 wfms/s

On 10/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, boom3 said:

TIA!

I have several. 🙂

You have a leaking/ failed cap in the power supply

JL you are spot on, except...I'd like to keep the Tek going (if it's safe). I rarely need a scope these days but looking to retirement I'd like to keep the Tek available without concerns. If I had a '63 Lincoln (and I wish I did) I'd pay for a brake job if it needed it.