Restoring Cornwall I Cabinets

Christian B

Greetings!  New member here, and new owner of a pair of 1972 Cornwalls.  They sound great, so I have not opened them up yet.  The cabinets have some very minor veneer loss, and some water and  dirt stains.  I'm thinking a light cleaning followed by light hand sanding with the grain would prepare them.  I found one recommendation for using either boiled linseed oil (familiar with this for antique furniture) or Watco Rejuvenating Oil Does anyone have a recommendation on how to proceed?

Thanks for replying.  They sound great, if maybe a little bass heavy.  Running the Sansui 8 driving them with bass, midrange and treble centered.  I'll have to listen to more variety of music to really get a feel for them.  So far I've only had the fm on.  They are in a little space for the moment, which I'm sure also affects the sound and makes it hard to get good photos.  I'll try to take some later today or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christian B said:

Thanks for replying.  They sound great, if maybe a little bass heavy.  Running the Sansui 8 driving them with bass, midrange and treble centered.  I'll have to listen to more variety of music to really get a feel for them.  So far I've only had the fm on.  They are in a little space for the moment, which I'm sure also affects the sound and makes it hard to get good photos.  I'll try to take some later today or tomorrow. 

The guys like photos, could help with advice on cabs.,with or without photos. Nice desirable amp Sansui, good match. Others will say more...

16 hours ago, Christian B said:

Greetings!  New member here, and new owner of a pair of 1972 Cornwalls.  They sound great, so I have not opened them up yet.  The cabinets have some very minor veneer loss, and some water and  dirt stains.  I'm thinking a light cleaning followed by light hand sanding with the grain would prepare them.  I found one recommendation for using either boiled linseed oil (familiar with this for antique furniture) or Watco Rejuvenating Oil Does anyone have a recommendation on how to proceed?

mineral spirits + 0000 wool would remove any dirt and   marks , do that 1st before sanding ,   these speakers should  have an  outer birch ply 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took some photos on the Cornwall cabinets.  I got them cleaned up a bit, and can see the minor stains, scratches, etc.  That's just visible evidence of history.  I'm thinking a light sanding with 220 grit followed by 320 grit, vacuum, tack cloth and then oil.  Any thoughts?

2K471Left.thumb.jpg.7ac9b1d7494a12a1d4fb1adfa0dcf2b5.jpg

2K 471 Rt..jpg

2K 471 Top.jpg

2K472 Left.jpg

2K472 Rt:..jpg

2K472 Top.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Christian B said:

Finally took some photos on the Cornwall cabinets.  I got them cleaned up a bit, and can see the minor stains, scratches, etc.  That's just visible evidence of history.  I'm thinking a light sanding with 220 grit followed by 320 grit, vacuum, tack cloth and then oil.  Any thoughts?

2K471Left.thumb.jpg.7ac9b1d7494a12a1d4fb1adfa0dcf2b5.jpg

2K 471 Rt..jpg

2K 471 Top.jpg

2K472 Left.jpg

2K472 Rt:..jpg

2K472 Top.jpg

You only need 0000 steel wool and then oil them. The veneer isn't that thick so the sand paper is too abrasive.

8 hours ago, Christian B said:

the minor stains, scratches, etc.  That's just visible evidence of history.  I'm thinking a light sanding with 220 grit followed by 320 grit, vacuum, tack cloth and then oil.  Any thoughts

the stains can be removed with a magic eraser ,   TRADE SECRET sold on amazon  will remove the scratches and it will oil the veneer  at the same time , the contents are coconut oil mixed with colorants  , no VOC's , no chemicals .....  wipe it on to restore the natural  finish , that 's it .

19 hours ago, jcn3 said:

You only need 0000 steel wool and then oil them. The veneer isn't that thick so the sand paper is too abrasive.

15 hours ago, OO1 said:

the stains can be removed with a magic eraser ,   TRADE SECRET sold on amazon  will remove the scratches and it will oil the veneer  at the same time , the contents are coconut oil mixed with colorants  , no VOC's , no chemicals .....  wipe it on to restore the natural  finish , that 's it .

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try the 0000 steel wool before I resort to sandpaper.  I'll definitely be gentle either way.

The stains might be too deep for magic eraser, since the cabinets seem to be pretty much bare veneer.  I'll give it a try though. 

One originally came raw wood, and the other was oil finish, but at this point the finish on each seems to be non-existent.

I think I'm going to use Boiled Linseed Oil to replicate the original finish once they're prepped.

BTW, does anyone know which crossover this is?  I have K33P Woofers, K55V Horns and K77 Tweeters.  1972 vintage vertical horns.

crossover.jpg.aecc988c55d37a9df33d01f6c0f628ab.jpg

7 hours ago, Christian B said:

Looks like I need to get some Trade Secret.  👍

I'd also consider Watco Tung Oil - it's more of a finish than a cleaner/restorer. It's more expensive but I think it's a great choice.

Here are my old 75 Heresys (Walnut) with tung oil.

spacer.png