ISO K77M tweeters.

Erivera1990

4 hours ago, OO1 said:

you can buy 2 types ,K-77 Alnico -round magnet or Ferrite square magnet 

For what I read, and correct me if wrong. K77 round magnet is the older version and the K77M square magnet is the newer-ish version? My klipschorns are from 1990, not sure if I would hear any difference between the square or round K77?

Also, what's a fair price for a pair of K77M tweeters? Seen a few on eBay but I feel their prices are too high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erivera1990 said:

K77 round magnet is the older version and the K77M square magnet is the newer-ish version? My klipschorns are from 1990 

Also, what's a fair price for a pair of K77M tweeters? Seen a few on eBay but I feel their prices are too high.

The K-77 / EV T35   round magnets are Alnico V  ,   square magnets are ferrite , ( same diaphragms  )  either type will work for a 1990 khorn   , 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Erivera1990 said:

For what I read, and correct me if wrong. K77 round magnet is the older version and the K77M square magnet is the newer-ish version? My klipschorns are from 1990, not sure if I would hear any difference between the square or round K77?

You are correct, the K77M has the ceramic magnet, and it's response differs from the older alnico tweeters. You are on the right track looking for a k77M replacement, to preserve the proper voicing of your Khorns.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blvdre said:

the K77M has the ceramic magnet, and it's response differs from the older alnico tweeters.  

nope , the specs sheets for the late 70's T-35 Alnico and T-35A  Mud , show identical Frequency characteristics and Output sound pressure levels  - 3.5 kHz to 15 kHz ± 3 dB  /   104dB  W/m   

https://audio-database.com/ELECTRO-VOICE/unit/t35.html

.https://mypicsonline.net/archive/archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/T35A EDS.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blvdre said:

You are correct, the K77M has the ceramic magnet, and it's response differs from the older alnico tweeters. You are on the right track looking for a k77M replacement, to preserve the proper voicing of your Khorns.

Thank you! I was looking in eBay, found a few pairs, k77 and k77m but I think prices are too high right now.

48 minutes ago, OO1 said:

nope , the specs sheets for the late 70's T-35 Alnico and T-35A  Mud , show identical Frequency characteristics and Output sound pressure levels  - 3.5 kHz to 15 kHz ± 3 dB  /   104dB  W/m   

.https://mypicsonline.net/archive/archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/T35A EDS.pdf

That's so interesting, what I could understand there's no difference between each one, I wonder what advantage the K77M has over k77... 

3 hours ago, Erivera1990 said:

Just found this.

Bob Crites mentions by error that the K-77 F  is a clone   , while it's an OEM Original made with the original EV tooling  .  

The K-77M was discontinued by EV in 2000 ,  the EV Tooling was purchased and moved to the Philippines under new ownership  ,with the final assembly delegated to a third party to cut manufacturing  costs  ,the K-77 production resumed in 2001 , under the  new designation K-77 F which is not a clone since it's manufactured with the original  EV tooling   same thing for the new diaphragm  cups  .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

Bob Crites mentions by error that the K-77 F  is a clone   , while it's an OEM Original made with the original EV tooling  .  

The K-77M was discontinued by EV in 2000 ,  the EV Tooling was purchased and moved to the Philippines under new ownership  ,with the final assembly delegated to a third party to cut manufacturing  costs  ,the K-77 production resumed in 2001 , under the  new designation K-77 F which is not a clone since it's manufactured with the original  EV tooling   same thing for the new diaphragm  cups  .

That's so interesting. Thank you for sharing that information. 

At this point I'm just going to wait for the right k77m for me. I spoke with Michael Crites, he told me alnico tweeters could loose magnetism if dropped or just because age. So I'm having second thoughts on buying K77.

I know I have a matched pair (close serial numbers) of K77's at my shop, and may have a pair of M's as well. I semi-regularly get $279.99 plus shipping on eBay, but would sell a pair here for $239 shipped to the U.S, paid via Zelle or PayPal F&F. If you wait around long enough, a more reasonable pair will show up here on the forum, but if you need them now, I can do that. 

Jeff

On 11/9/2023 at 2:56 AM, OO1 said:

I was recalling Al's plot of the K-77M (red) vs the Alnico (black), but to be fair, the Alnico magnets may not have been up to snuff. Given that issue being a possibility when buying used, though, I'd still recommend the K-77M for Erivera.

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 11.02.23 PM.png