KG4 Restoration... Done!

Iteachstem

I decided to pick up a pair of KG4's that looked decent for a simple cabinet refinish to remove scratches and the typical water marks.  However, upon arrival, they had the typical wife treatment with the water rings on the top, but they took it to the next level and let the water hit the seems, so there was more damage that seen in the online pics. Ugh!  Anyway, this is what I did.  I would like your thoughts on a finish at the end.

The speakers upon purchase:

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

• Sad 1

Then I was eying some scrap wood that seemed like it wanted to be part of the restoration... and it did by becoming some internal bracing.  I'm bit sure it needed it, but it was either put it in the speaker or put it in the burn pile, so I had a little fun with it.

IMG_0452.jpg.01536452fd2d25c4df98da04526b8e62.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg.6db1e1bef5a0eb90da4b854e0170d95b.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg.54727c190c75673e0100c253e57c1f12.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg.5a3b891b05519a4e50f2132f3bde2ba6.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg.57e10559ab913a69375c1675ce109aa9.jpg

Glued and screwed to add a little beef behind the thin section between the horn and top driver!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

They’d be pretty unique if you kept them blonde. 

That was the original goal... sand them and just seal them... but they needed filling on some seams, and I thought that wouldn't look the best as it was on the top. Perhaps a dark stain will cover it up.

1 minute ago, Iteachstem said:

That was the original goal... sand them and just seal them... but they needed filling on some seams, and I thought that wouldn't look the best as it was on the top. Perhaps a dark stain will cover it up.

I thought that after I sent the reply. 
I’ll be curious to see what the sound improvements are when you are finished. I love Kg4’s.  

7 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’ll be curious to see what the sound improvements are when you are finished.

I've done bracing on several other Klipsch speakers and in my opinion, it's more of a tinkering thing and perhaps somewhat of a placebo effect.  Just because I did something to the speaker, it must sound better, right?

It does sound more solid when you tap the cabinet from top to bottom, but will that translate into positively transforming the sound for the better, and if so, can you really hear any difference in the audio, or just when you tap on the cabinet?

In my past experience, I did an A/B comparison as I had two sets of Forte's, one modified and one stock.  I honestly couldn't hear any difference.  However, I don't have the golden ears like some people... you know, the ones that spend big $$$ on cable risers, speaker cables that cost as much as my car, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Iteachstem changed the title to KG4 Restoration... vote on a finish!
52 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

I've done bracing on several other Klipsch speakers and in my opinion, it's more of a tinkering thing and perhaps somewhat of a placebo effect.  Just because I did something to the speaker, it must sound better, right?

It does sound more solid when you tap the cabinet from top to bottom, but will that translate into positively transforming the sound for the better, and if so, can you really hear any difference in the audio, or just when you tap on the cabinet?

In my past experience, I did an A/B comparison as I had two sets of Forte's, one modified and one stock.  I honestly couldn't hear any difference.  However, I don't have the golden ears like some people... you know, the ones that spend big $$$ on cable risers, speaker cables that cost as much as my car, etc.

Placebo effect goes a long way for me. Half the fun is tinkering. 

• Iteachstem changed the title to KG4 Restoration... Done!