Opinions on this Amp?

Dabrowski

Will this Radio Shack amp work for driving a pair of Klipsch KLF-10's in my house?

It's fan cooled, and has A & B speaker selection as well. It's their catalog nubmer 32-2004

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=32%2D2004

Anything wrong with this unit, can't beat the price at only $249.

(I picked one up, and it's a pretty stout unit at 27 pounds if that's any indication of the transformer size)

See attached picture if it helps.

Thanks,

Bob

post-10866-13819246225538_thumb.jpg

Propably so,

However I would seriously consider trying a power amplifier more along the lines of what would be used in a prosound or studio setup.

The crown amp in the link below is more like what I was thinking of,

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=2003012922301602&menu=0303&keyword=AAPA1&item=CRO+XLS202A

Although they are no longer made the RA-100 amplifier made by Alesis is a great little power amp and even though it is only 75wpc @8ohms it is propably more than you need to get your KLF's to earsplitting volumes, the alesis has the added bonus of not being fan cooled(it has 2 massive heatsinks), sometimes you would be suprised at how annoying an extra fan can be.

*Edit* I thought it over and specifically an amp designed as a "studio" amplifier is propably going to have a cleaner sound at lower volumes then a PA amp, PA amps generally being designed to be clean when they are at or near max power.

Peace, Josh

Man, I dont know. I worked with Crown amps for years on the road, in the studio, and in a radio station. I really wouldnt call them quality sound to me, especially these pro amps. They sound grainy, lack refinement, and are generally not very pleasing with a treble and midrange that I dont find musical. They ARE built well for the most part. But a host of other amps would sound much better or at least far more musical.

As for the Radio Shack, you could have an order of magnitude increase in quality with a move to better gear here. I am personally for tubes but there are other options that would be on another level. I would put the $300 toward something else, personally.

kh

Bob,

Go to products...home...classic series...look up cut sheet for KLF-10. It says "power handling: 150 watts RMS maximum". The Radio Shack amp you are looking at puts out 250 watts maximum...too much IMHO! Besides, for 250 bucks you have lots of other alternatives. I would imagine that even a used H/K 730 receiver from eBay...that would run you under 200 bucks total for winning bid plus shipping(likely under 150 bucks!) would have those KLF-10's singing quite well, and at LOUD volumes too!!... even though it is CONSERVATIVELY rated at just 35 watts per channel RMS....it is twin-powered and those 35 watts sound more like OVER 100 watts per channel to me! I am also quite sure that the old H/K 730's sound would be much better than that public address amp from Radio Shack...just a thought! Remember...with that receiver you get a good preamp and tuner thrown into the deal, too!!

I really don't think that there is anything wrong with that radioshack amp. In canada, it was badged the MPA-200, I believe. I used two of these amps with various speakers over the years, playing dances and doing p.a. at the local racetrack. I dunno how many hours are on them, it is lots for sure. They are pretty indestructable amps, air cooled, so no noisy fan. S/N ratio is good, front mounted gain controls. I would try it out and see how you like it.