new to home theater and have a question.

fred jones

9 hours ago, 83 LSIs said:

Obviously the Ohms will not timbre match the RC-52II center, may not be important to you.

Why would you move the Ohms away from the front wall? They were designed to be used against the wall.

For music I would want to use the Ohms, but for HT/gaming it wouldn't matter at all to me.

i might have answered your question below.......

You will enjoy 600s, they are the latest version of the ones I originally used as mains. They are very clear, detailed and punch well above their weight - especially with a sub to fill in the bottom. My condo layout is as such that the Ohm Walsh provides better sound for the whole room - they are magnificent off axis. The Klipsch were great whilst sitting in the living room either listening or watching TV. At the dining room table not so much.

Rolling off the crossover will make a huge difference, then you will be able to keep them where they should be. If you find that the Klispsch set works out best for straight up HT you have a great pair of Ohms for two channel in another room assuming you still have your two channel receiver/amp on hand.

Let us know what you think after noodling around with them.

28 minutes ago, fred jones said:

Why would you move the Ohms away from the front wall? They were designed to be used against the wall.

20 minutes ago, 83 LSIs said:

didn't answer my question but that's okay.

but i think i did answer your question if you read what i said to YK  Thom....but i will reply to  you so you understand.     if i have them to close to the wall then they are to boomy and i dont need that since i have two subs that i also need to use for the ht.    then if i move the Ohms out into the room more, then they are going to be to close to the side surrounds...... and as i said in my comment, if the room was bigger, then maybe this wouldnt be a big deal, but there is only so much room i have in a 12 x 12 area to play with.

YK Thom gave me a reply and i can try his suggestions of the settings with the Ohms and see how that works and if it doesnt, then i have the 600'S that i just bought.

One more thought regarding placement. When using the Ohms try and keep them 12inches to 18 max out from the wall. They also need to be slightly ahead of your TV monitor, or just a bit more than level. Otherwise you will get a lot of sound waves being blocked/smeared by the TV itself. The upgrade you would have received will most likely have the rear attenuater placed inside the can, which makes them more of a 180 degree speaker rather than true omni. The 600s are much more direct and a bit easier to place. Unlike the old version I have, the new ones are rear ported so that will need to be considered as well. All part of the fun.

21 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

You will enjoy 600s, they are the latest version of the ones I originally used as mains. They are very clear, detailed and punch well above their weight - especially with a sub to fill in the bottom. My condo layout is as such that the Ohm Walsh provides better sound for the whole room - they are magnificent off axis. The Klipsch were great whilst sitting in the living room either listening or watching TV. At the dining room table not so much.

Rolling off the crossover will make a huge difference, then you will be able to keep them where they should be. If you find that the Klispsch set works out best for straight up HT you have a great pair of Ohms for two channel in another room assuming you still have your two channel receiver/amp on hand.

Let us know what you think after noodling around with them.

after being in the 2 channel side of things for 20+ years, i decided to call it quits.      we recently moved from one house to another and this current room, i just couldnt make it work for 2 channel, and i had room treatments, tried moving speakers, this way , that way , forward / backward, you name it and it was always the same result....tried different preamps, amps, etc... and i had enough.        

i still have to get the speaker cable for the rear surrounds and the tv ( wife is getting that in another week ), the futon  , speaker stands , tv stand and then start setting everything up.           so it will be a few weeks yet, but definitely looking forward to this.

• Like 1

The "timbre match" is often overstated. More of a factor at high volumes. I doubt you are going to bury the needle in a room that size. However the more I think about it the more I think you will end up using the 600s on stands. I would be reluctant to part ways with the 2s though, you may find like me that they are stellar in a nonstandard shaped area for music. They do need a bit of space to breath and shine in my experience. Changing the crossover may tell you the tale.

7 hours ago, YK Thom said:

The "timbre match" is often overstated. More of a factor at high volumes. I doubt you are going to bury the needle in a room that size. However the more I think about it the more I think you will end up using the 600s on stands. I would be reluctant to part ways with the 2s though, you may find like me that they are stellar in a nonstandard shaped area for music. They do need a bit of space to breath and shine in my experience. Changing the crossover may tell you the tale.

i was already planning on putting the 600's on stands and can probably get away with putting them closer to the back wall where the Ohms i cant.   then i have the two subs and they can go either in front of the 600's or in back and that all depends on where the 600's go.

i think that is part of the issue that i am having when it comes to the 2 channel side is that i need  a more open area for things to breath.....as years ago at our other house, i had the system in the living room / cathedral ceilings and the sound was amazing ( good separation / detail / soundstage, it was all there ) and i moved the system to the master bedroom which was a good size room 15 x 20 x 8, but  it wasnt as open and i lost everything.   And this is what i have experienced in this new house also.....the music sounds great, has good detail , center imaging, but that is where it ends.  no separation / no soundstage .            

• Like 2