Some Cheap Jazz to Consider - Non Vinyl!!

lynnm

Just sitting here listening to Django Reinhard Jazz 48 one of the Gitanes "Jazz in Paris" series. I have a number of the CD's from this series. They are all well worth a listen ,( LOL on proofreading I found I had originally typed "worth a lesson" - not far from the truth actually) . The featured artists include in addition to Django - Louis Armstrong, Oscar Peterson, Les Blues Stars, Stephane Grapelli and many others.

Those who have read my rants in the past know that I am frequently grossly underwhelmed by the quality of many CD remasters but I must say that these remasters often sound like very good new recordings. The bonus is that the CD's in this series are dirt cheap ! I have been swallowing them up at C$ 9.95 at Chapters in Calgary. In the U.S. I would expect they are selling at about $ 7.95

I also recently bought a Columbia Records set that I am absolutely enthralled with Columbia Jazz - The Best of The 50's and 60's. This is a 4 CD Compilation featuring numerous Columbia Jazz artists of that period including:

Billie Holiday - You've Changed

Betty Carter - Let's Fall in Love

Tony Bennet - You Go to My Head

Sarah Vaughn - Ain't Misbehavin'

Thelonious Monk - 'Round Midnight

Aretha Franklin - Misty

Dave Brubeck - Take Five

Alberta Hunter - My Handyman Aint Handy No More !

For purposes of temptation I have chosen 2 selections from each CD for the above list. The set features 47 selections in total and like the Gitanes CD's mentioned above are exceptionally well remastered. I paid C$25.00 for this set at Chapters using a discount coupon but it is regularly priced at $35.00 - A bargain even at that price !!

In addition I have finally got my phono front end sorted and by heaven there are some deals available at garage sales if you have the time and patience -- but that's for another post......

Any other suggestions for cheap but exceptionally good recordings - Jazz or otherwise ??

lynnm,

A month or two ago, someone recommended "Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington -The Complete Sessions". It was a 2 CD set with the sessions from around 1961. I couldn't remember if you had posted the thread or someone else. In any event I purchased the set and it was great. So far I've only listened to disc 1, but I was very impressed with the quality, especially for music that was recorded over 40 years ago. Even my 20 year old niece who was in the next room was commenting on how good and clear the horns sounded. I really got a kick out of the trills the clarinet player was doing. The whole disc was a joy.

" A month or two ago, someone recommended "Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington -The Complete Sessions". It was a 2 CD set with the sessions from around 1961. "

I posted that item. I don't have the CD in front of me but I believe the subtitle is " The Master Takes " I'll check on that point tonight at home. You are right on the sound quality - Truly breathtaking.

Tom,

Do you mean "Kind of Blue"??

I don't have this album currently as I gave my copy on vinyl to my little brother(who plays trumpet) for christmas.

Before I heard it on vinyl the only copy I had heard was on a cassette tape my little brother had and I remember on one of the songs thinking that there was a bunch of noise at one point. I don't remember which song in particular but when I listened to the album on vinyl I realized that the drummer was playing with brushes and this is what had sounded so aweful on the cassette.

I also have a copy Miles Davis "Birth of the Cool" which is a great cd.

Another cd I picked up out of the bargain bin at a record shop a few weeks ago is "The very best of Duke Ellington" on the RCAVICTOR label, also a very enjoyable listen.

Peace, Josh