Svs prime center vs klipsch academy

I currently have forte 2 for mains and a svs prime center. I was thinking about picking up a klipsch academy center. I had one before but it had a bad woofer so i got rid of it quickly.

I found a functioning acadamy with the same mods as my forte 2.(crites tweeter and cap upgrade).

Timber match is not super critical to me except when listening to 5.1 music concerts and the svs sounds ok for movies but not good at all for music. Is it worth the $400 to upgrade back to the academy?

How does the dialog sound compared to the svs?

I bought the svs thinking it would be a decent match because it's a 3 way and it has a wide dispersion. Dispersion is not a critical factor for me since me and my wife sit about 10 feet directly in front of the front lcr.

I did not have my last academy long enough to listen critically since the buzz drove me nuts.

Thanks in advance.

The better matched center speaker would be another 3-way Klipsch speaker like a third Forte, a Quartet, or a Heresy II/III.  I used a Heresy II as a center for years, first with original Forte and then with KLF-30.  However, if you can't accommodate a vertical center like those, then my next choice would be a KLF-C7.  It's about the closest match for a horizontal center to the 3-way Klipsch towers that I've heard.  The larger horn sounds better.  It's not a perfect match for 3-way Klipsch towers, but it works.  I owned an Academy for a short while when I had original Forte mains.  I didn't think it was a good match.  It sounded more like kg series to me.  I traded it in for the Heresy II.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadmobile500 said:

I currently have forte 2 for mains and a svs prime center. I was thinking about picking up a klipsch academy center. I had one before but it had a bad woofer so i got rid of it quickly.

I found a functioning acadamy with the same mods as my forte 2.(crites tweeter and cap upgrade).

Timber match is not super critical to me except when listening to 5.1 music concerts and the svs sounds ok for movies but not good at all for music. Is it worth the $400 to upgrade back to the academy?

I bought the svs thinking it would be a decent match because it's a 3 way and it has a wide dispersion. Dispersion is not a critical factor for me since me and my wife sit about 10 feet directly in front of the front lcr.

I did not have my last academy long enough to listen critically since the buzz drove me nuts.

Thanks in advance.

A third Forte speaker would be your best option, just as MMurg suggested. I tried two different Academy’s in two different systems and didn’t care for it at all. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cadmobile500 said:

I found a single kg4.2 for $75.

How would this be for a center channel for the forte 2.

As I mentioned above, the reason I didn't think the Academy was a good match is because it sounded more like kg series, which does most match well with the 3-way Klipsch.  So, an actual kg series speaker won't be a great match either.  At that price, it might be worth a try.  Perhaps you aren't as sensitive to mismatches as I am. 

18 hours ago, Cadmobile500 said:

Thanks in advance.

Couple items of note:

It's spelled timbre and pronounced like tamber (rhymes with camber).

I had an Academy with Heresy mains and hated it.  Once I added another Heresy as a center, then everything was perfect.  I'd never spend $400 on an Academy when you could buy a pair of forte I or Heresy and sell one of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cadmobile500 said:

I think I'm just gonna diy a center with k75k tweeter and k53k mid and forte crossover.

Seems like the are alot of klipsch parts on ebay. 

What would be a decent 6" woofer?

Why go through all that work when you could just get a Heresy and use that?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cadmobile500 said:

Find me a single herressy. 

Singles do pop up from time to time.  I found several single Belle Klipsch for sale when I was looking for one for a center speaker.  Check HiFi Shark periodically.

• 2 weeks later...