RF7-III or Heritage IV, Please Explain The Technical Differences

15 hours ago, ksquared said:

OK, yes, if you've heard both, but I'm hoping for a bit more technical explanation.

You need your own experience(s). Where are you? So that you can start hearing them for yourself, you might go listen to speakers that are for sale. I wouldn't buy because of those listening sessions alone, there is a little more to learn, but it will get you started. 

It's a journey, not a destination.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Schu said:

Three way is better than a two way???

So is a four way better than a three way?

What about a single driver???

Maybe Schu, as an expert, somewhat said this in a bit of humor, but me as a non-expert truly wonder and am confused, why not four, or five? It can't be cost, as Klipsch makes top-of-the-line speakers. Somewhat, isn't that what the Tekton speaker does?

4 hours ago, Flevoman said:

In my opinion, the choice between RF7 and Heresy is somewhat odd. A more logical counterpart for the RF7, in my opinion, would be the Forte instead of the Heresy.

And this is why I appreciate the people here. Yes, Flevoman and MMurg both suggested the Forte, which I had never looked into. And then there's the Chorus IV, suggested by 001, but those seem financially out of reach. I could possibly get a Chorus I, but then the questions start again as what's the difference between I and IV, and IV must be better because Klipsch must be improving the speakers along the way, but is it that much dollar-wise better?

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It's a journey, not a destination.

Yes, I'm just hoping I don't get derailed along the way.

40 minutes ago, ksquared said:

Yes, I'm just hoping I don't get derailed along the way.

Until we get to know something, almost everything is confusing.

Instead of making a spread of statements and asking so many different questions, maybe just ask something like ~ How to get started, or what should a person buy first?

State what you like to listen to, what your budget is, and the room size you hope to set up your system. I do believe that this approach will yield information from people who want to help and get you going in the right direction.    

31 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Instead of making a spread of statements and asking so many different questions, maybe just ask something like ~ How to get started, or what should a person buy first?

State what you like to listen to, what your budget is, and the room size you hope to set up your system. I do believe that this approach will yield information from people who want to help and get you going in the right direction.    

Thanks, and this is the bit of the other dilemma. What I like to listen to, '60s Rock, and what everybody else likes to listen to, movie theater immersion, are two completely different speakers, yet I'm trying to get by with one set. I want to use a nice respectable tube amp playing records, my wife and kids want to use a massive amp to live the movies. Also, I like to find out the theory and all about things, so why 3-way instead of 2-way and why not 4-way?

The budget is about $2000, but I have thought about going higher to get the Cornwall but it would have to be a Cornwall I, which is above $2000 but still within reach and not as much as Cornwall IV. And I would never thought of the Forte IV except for the suggestions here. I was strictly focused on the RF7-III until I started doing more research.

It is interesting, because I was reading one the comments from one of the comparisons by Paducah Home Theater, "Heritage vs. Reference," and sama kind of summed it up:

@sama7545

1 year ago (edited)

I tried both in my home and ultimately decided on the RF7iii’s. It’s in a mixed use set up, maybe 60% movies and games, and 40% music. The forte’s sounded more spacious and wide and had better imaging and soundstage, but lacked a bit of punch focus for movies and games. They also sounded low to the ground when tied to movie and game soundtracks and panning effects (with a tv mounted up on the wall between them). It just felt distracting and kept taking me out of the experience. They have very different sound signatures (with the mids on the Heritage line being substantially more noticeable), but neither is “bad”, just different. Ultimately I decided on the RF7iii’s because it could do both really well. I knew I was getting a 85-90% optimal experience in both use cases, instead of a 95% in music and a 65-70% in movies and games. It is NOT an easy choice. I went back and forth several times when trying to decide. I still think about Fortes (and to be honest the Heresy’s as well) from time to time, but I know that I did the work and remember the comparisons in my room, and ultimately decided on the most balanced solution for my use case.

4 minutes ago, ksquared said:

Also, I like to find out the theory and all about things, so why 3-way instead of 2-way and why not 4-way?

Careful of what you dwell on, it can lead to unrealistic expectations and divorce. 

IMHO, you're complicating something more that is complicated enough. 
So, you like '60s music and your family wants a HT system for movies. Almost any setup will do both, just not to a top-shelf level. Do you think that the rest of the family will notice that your system sounds closer to a HiFi system than a HT system?

So, you want a system to listen to music.
Have you looked at the prices of the new Cornwall IV, are those in your price range? Step back and realize that the speakers are the big ticket item, but there is more to buy. 

Next, what's your budget?

For me deciding on Chorus II and Belles as my speakers over 20 years ago was easy.

DACs, power filter, phono cartridges and amplification are a more challenging investigation.

I spent a weekend listening to RF-7 at the Audio Karma show in Detroit 20 years ago. 

Analogy...... a different flavor of ice cream from a great dairy.

• Like 1