Room size and speaker choice

Abomb

Up front for Ted & Aero several times did it for me!

That's kind of why I mentioned between one and three peppers dollar signs. Because if what you get is too bright furnishings that don't cost a lot could help. If it's cushy like a button'n'tuck 70s Camaro interior might have to dial it back. So remember to rtfm on the Klipsch you end up with, you could download it if need be. Not familiar with the Dayton gear except some of their woofers. But it takes less wattage to make sound out of the Heritage line the higher you go. Check the garage Sale thread here to get an idea about pricing on previously owned speakers!

• Like 1

Well the ceiling goes from low to high in the length. I planned on putting the setup on the low ceiling end facing across the room to to 13ft ceiling. The floors are hardwood but have two very large area rugs that can be moved or adjusted as needed. All of the walls are stucco, that would be a tough thing to change, not to mention expensive. Otherwise the room is fairly open with the exception of a couple of plush chairs a wood stove and a plush sofa, and a very large and thick glass coffee table. There is the other common items like a set of shelves and various framed pictures on the walls. The area rugs definitely contain any echo which there was plenty of without them.

• Thanks 1

Now that is the kind of info that the folks here more in the know about acoustics could work with!

Might take a little but I was interested when I saw this over on the right side of the page! Others will be too.

Mention where you're located there have been some beautiful sets and amplifiers that sold recently here.

I count myself extremely lucky being in this area. As mentioned I am a drummer and the location allowed me to take eight years worth of private lessons during my last few years in elementary school all the way through high-school with Joe Morello. Dave Brubeck's drummer, who played on Take Five. He lived in Hyde Park which is very close to us.

• Like 2

Just now, Abomb said:

I count myself extremely lucky being in this area. As mentioned I am a drummer and the location allowed me to take eight years worth of private lessons during my last few years in elementary school all the way through high-school with Joe Morello. Dave Brubeck's drummer, who played on Take Five. He lived in Hyde Park which is very close to us.

WOW!!

My old Heresy IIs reproduced a lot of David Sanborn and others, very nicely too.

No wonder you got that response out of him for that heretical request:laugh:

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

My old Heresy IIs reproduced a lot of David Sanborn and others, very nicely too.

No wonder you got that response out of him for that heretical request:laugh:

Very true. I'll never tell him that I was cranking the likes of Rush, Malmsteen and Gary Moore out of them when I was a kid. Shhh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Abomb said:

So...any thoughts on the Forte IV's in front of the window if it has very lightweight curtains? As seen in the photo.

Will check in tomorrow. Have to head to bed. 5am gets here quickly 

I have, or had.. (not sure after almost three years with an evil relative) Forte IIIs. Pushed with 120/channel clean & good Cambridge Audio.

They would fill a room that size open to the hallway and to a larger room with a 17' cathedral ceiling.

As much as I liked the increase in bass response, and imaging over those 1990 H2's? I also missed the slam of the closed box Heresy II.

I could be abrupt and say LaScalas or nothing at allB) but I think the Cornwalls might could fill that area authoritatively. Both of the Heritage series that I had could also be played softly without a loss in the sound of or the character of the music.

I'll also point out that some input from others on this would be best from your viewpoint. Not a disclaimer but everyone's got opinions and experiences.

Hang tight, read more in the HT threads and wait for some more responses here.

You are talking about something that could serve you for decades... or longer!

10 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I have, or had.. (not sure after almost three years with an evil relative) Forte IIIs. Pushed with 120/channel clean & good Cambridge Audio.

They would fill a room that size open to the hallway and to a larger room with a 17' cathedral ceiling.

As much as I liked the increase in bass response, and imaging over those 1990 H2's? I also missed the slam of the closed box Heresy II.

I could be abrupt and say LaScalas or nothing at allB) but I think the Cornwalls might could fill that area authoritatively. Both of the Heritage series that I had could also be played softly without a loss in the sound of or the character of the music.

I'll also point out that some input from others on this would be best from your viewpoint. Not a disclaimer but everyone's got opinions and experiences.

Hang tight, read more in the HT threads and wait for some more responses here.

You are talking about something that could serve you for decades... or longer!

Thanks for the great advice. I'll certainly keep my eyes open. Everything else has arrived with the exception of the Schiit Mani 2 which is on backorder. The Fluance RT85 will be delivered tomorrow. I already have the primary Amp., so after delivery tomorrow all I really need to start playing music are the speakers.

• Like 1

So, after thinking about it, speaking with the folks at Klipsch and taking in all of the great advice from all of you, here is what I think that I am doing. I'm probably going with the Heresy IV'S. If for some reason I feel that they need more bottom end I'll pick up a Rel HT/1510 at some point. This also gives me the opportunity later on to move the entire setup into my 20X20 spare bedroom/studio in order to grab something higher end and a set of Cornwalls for the living room. Who knows, maybe at that point I'll do something ridiculous and go larger than the Cornwalls. 

• Like 3

Small but VERY IMPORTANT piece of advice for everyone. If you live in NY or have something similar where you live. Go right now to your regions Comtroller website. I received a letter from The New York office saying that I have unclaimed funds. Well...a check just showed up today that gives me 4 figure discount on my new speakers. In NY all you need to do is go to the Comtroller's website and do a free search. I'm certain that it must be the same nation wide. You never know unless you try. It was a very pleasant surprise that at first made me very skeptical in today's world of scamming. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Abomb said:

Small but VERY IMPORTANT piece of advice for everyone. If you live in NY or have something similar where you live. Go right now to your regions Comtroller website. I received a letter from The New York office saying that I have unclaimed funds. Well...a check just showed up today that gives me 4 figure discount on my new speakers. In NY all you need to do is go to the Comtroller's website and do a free search. I'm certain that it must be the same nation wide. You never know unless you try. It was a very pleasant surprise that at first made me very skeptical in today's world of scamming. 

I know that last post is way off topic. I just wanted to share my good fortune in the hope that someone else here might also benefit.

• Like 1