Heresy - Model/era identification

10 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

You have Heresy “1.5” models in birch raw, made in 1985.  Don’t sell them if you don’t have to.  They’re awesome speakers.

Thanks for that info! How can you tell they were made in 1985? Are there any other numbers/markings that I should look for, maybe something stamped into them? Just curious if there is a way to tell if these are sequential? 

I hate to sell anything that is awesome, but I am overrun with speakers at the moment. What kind of value do these speakers have on the open market?

I appreciate it.

18 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

Thanks for that info! How can you tell they were made in 1985? Are there any other numbers/markings that I should look for, maybe something stamped into them? Just curious if there is a way to tell if these are sequential? 

I hate to sell anything that is awesome, but I am overrun with speakers at the moment. What kind of value do these speakers have on the open market?

I appreciate it.

The 1.5 was only made in the transition from the original Heresy and Heresy II which took place in late 84 into 85.  I can see the faint outline of 85 on the serial number line on the one tag.  Your speakers probably don't have the serial number stamped into the back on the edge of the cabinets, other than that the serial number tags would be the only way to tell if they were sequential.

From the exterior condition I can see from the pics you provided, I would say they're worth $500 as long as all the drivers are working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

The 1.5 was only made in the transition from the original Heresy and Heresy II which took place in late 84 into 85.  I can see the faint outline of 85 on the serial number line on the one tag.  Your speakers probably don't have the serial number stamped into the back on the edge of the cabinets, other than that the serial number tags would be the only way to tell if they were sequential.

From the exterior condition I can see from the pics you provided, I would say they're worth $500 as long as all the drivers are working.

Got it, that is interesting they only made the 1.5 during that brief window. They sound great, I have used them on and off for a couple of years. I wasn't sure what to ask for them. So you think they are both worth $500 total, as a pair? 

43 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

Got it, that is interesting they only made the 1.5 during that brief window. They sound great, I have used them on and off for a couple of years. I wasn't sure what to ask for them. So you think they are both worth $500 total, as a pair? 

Yes.  They look to have some wear along the edges and corners, nothing too major from what I can see though.  Somewhere along the line someone stained the raw birch veneer which isn’t a big deal as most owners did that at some point.  If they were in pristine condition, original finish all working I’d say $750 tops.  $500 for the pair is realistic.

29 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Yes.  They look to have some wear along the edges and corners, nothing too major from what I can see though.  Somewhere along the line someone stained the raw birch veneer which isn’t a big deal as most owners did that at some point.  If they were in pristine condition, original finish all working I’d say $750 tops.  $500 for the pair is realistic.

I appreciate the honest appraisal and expert historical breakdown! The 'water damage' on the one speaker looks like a drink spill of some sort, it adds character. What made the 1.5 different than either the 1s or 2s?

31 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

I appreciate the honest appraisal and expert historical breakdown! The 'water damage' on the one speaker looks like a drink spill of some sort, it adds character. What made the 1.5 different than either the 1s or 2s?

They used a combination of parts from the original Heresy and Heresy II.  Some have a metal horn that the originals had, some had a plastic horn that the IIs had.  The midrange driver and woofer are from the II but the tweeters are the same.

• Thanks 1