att. FINI

ricktate

Rick,

Yes, I got a 430! Setting it up is on the side burner (as opposed to the full beard-er, or the goatee-er) for a bit. I will get to that soon and report back. Thanks for the interest!

fini

Fini,

Once you get that H/K 430 all cleaned-up(controls too!), and give it a listen...I would also be interested in reading your impression of it...so far everybody I know of who has gotten one has been very surprised at what they hear through Heritage speakers with one...Heresy and LaScala reports have been VERY good using it...but I have seen no other reports of usage with other Heritage series speakers so far! I am kinda curious as to how it performs with the others...Cornwalls, Belles, and K-horns! I am quite sure that a report of it with K-horns would be the ultimate report...and it seems one of our BB members with K-horns just made an aquisition of one of these H/K 430's, but won't have it in to test it for a week or so. Either way...I am looking forward to your listening impression of this little "jewel in the rough"! I will offer up this much about the H/K 430...I believe you will be surprised at its bass bottom-end production capability...and its "musicality" for an SS receiver(or an SS amp of ANY kind)! So far that has been the general opinion of these little receivers....from the reports I have gotten, anyway.

I've been feeding the Cornwalls with a Nakamichi SR-3A receiver, and it sounds pretty decent. I'll try and set it up so I can easily switch back and forth, then report my observations (I won't get to it until later this week). Generally speaking, what should I listen for? Can I expect the 430 to mellow out the mids and highs of the Cornwall? Sources are Pioneer PL-41 w/Grado Green, and a Sony SCD-CE775 5-disc SACD player.

Fini,

If the reports of the 430 with Heresys...and my own observations with the 430 and Heresys are any indication of its performance with Cornwalls...you will have a very good EVEN & BALANCED response...with a bit more pronounced bass BOTTOM-END EXTENSION than you have been hearing...IOW...it will make your Cornwalls GO LOWER than what you are used to hearing...and there should be a surprising ABSENCE of backround noise. All of this happening with relatively HIGH decibels at LOWER VOLUME SETTINGS than you will be expecting from a SOLID STATE amplifier rated CONSERVATIVELY at just 25 WPC...much less the fact that this is in a RECEIVER! IOW...don't be surprised that you ARE SURPRISED by what you HEAR and the decibels you CAN HEAR IT AT...and the SILENCE in the backround!!! Another note...you may ALSO be surprised at the capabilities of its tuner section!! It is only originally planned for use of M/M cartridges in its phono section, but that section is pretty good too! Run your CD player into its AUX inputs and just give it a listen! Then after the initial surprise...sit back and give it a SERIOUS LISTEN...especially to some wide-range source-material! I would venture to say you will think you have spent the best 30 bucks of your audio-buying years...provided your unit is in great operating condition(as most are)! But don't tell anybody I said this! There are still many "unbelievers" out there! LOL!

HDBRbuilder

This be tube country pardner !!

Y'all take yor melted pile of silly corn outta heya before things gets ugly !

When we need yor opinion we'll tell ya what it is !

AKA HK made some really decent SS amps back then and many of us appreciated them then and now !

Tube or SS aside- Good is Good and Crap is Crap.Examples can be had for both tube and SS.

Lynnm,

As in all things...there are good and bad...I have been reading with interest many of the reports from H/K x30 series receiver owners the past few months...all over the internet...they pretty much all end up saying the same thing...positive comments across the board(unless the writer ended up with a lemon from a seller to begin with)...especially for the 430 and 730 models...seems there is an ongoing argument on just which of these particular two models are the "best" of that series...with various reasons given to support each argument, while still giving no negative comments about the other one involved(430 vs. 730)! Not what I normally see in this sort of friendly argument! BTW...one serious tuner freak mentioned a later model H/K tuner as likely being the best tuner ever made...in his opinion, anyway...and he supposedly has had LOTS of experience with all kinds of tuners, too..tube and S/S!