To dampen or not to dampen, that is the question.

Abomb

So I have seen quite a few people on YouTube pulling out the horns and dampening them. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Is there any major improvement with sound quality and is it really worth doing if you don't have a "Golden Ear"?

8 minutes ago, Abomb said:

Does anyone have experience with doing this?

It depends on the horn. The K700 is a lot less apt to need damping vs the K400. Which horn are you thinking about needing damping material?

There have been many threads about this. Since there are so few remaining members who can help with this, I would google it to get a lot more info.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It depends on the horn. The K700 is a lot less apt to need damping vs the K400. Which horn are you thinking about needing damping material?

There have been many threads about this. Since there are so few remaining members who can help with this, I would google it to get a lot more info.   

I just purchased brand new Heresy IV's 

Just now, Abomb said:

I just purchased brand new Heresy IV's 

Nope. I would not do anything, I mean nothing at all to the Heresy IV, seriously. Roy and the team got that one right as right needs to be. Placement and what powers them are the only two things I would work on to dial them in.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Nope. I would not do anything, I mean nothing at all to the Heresy IV, seriously. Roy and the team got that one right as right needs to be. Placement and what powers them are the only two things I would work on to dial them in.

Thanks. That's the exact info that I was looking for. 👍

Bob suggested that there might be other problems that need to be addressed on some horns. A lot of people added damping materials to the metal K400 and a few others.

The new Heresy addressed and corrected many complaints about the earlier offerings.

Posting some of what Bob said just for the lol.

“I will keep repeating this so all concerned will perhaps see it.  I bought a pair of Heresys that had been someone had rope-caulked many years earlier.  It was a pretty extreme case where the guy for some reason put that nasty stuff all over the tweeter, midrange horn and driver, the crossover and the woofer.  The junk had been in there long enough that the rope-caulk had started to de-compose and the oil had dripped out of it and was all over the cabinet and even some of it on the woofer cone.  When I tried to remove it, the sorry stuff had hardened and took all the paint off the horn and all other parts it had been applied to.  

Anyway, now if I have a ringing problem with a horn, I tighten up the screws holding the horn to the motor board real good.

Bob C”

“I am not criticizing the goal, just the technique.  If tightening up the horn did not work, you could try a gasket around the mouth flange.  If more is still needed, how about a large package of rubber bands to put around the horn?  Anything except that nasty rope caulk.

Bob C”

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Parrot?

Only the ones that have not been taught to speak.

A lady is walking down the street to work and sees a parrot in a pet store. She stops to admire the bird. The parrot says to her, "Hey lady, you are really ugly." Well, the lady is furious! She storms past the store to her work. On the way home she saw the same parrot in the window and the parrot upon seeing her says, "Hey lady, you are really ugly." She was incredibly ticked now. The next day on the way to work she saw the same parrot and once again it said, "Hey lady, you are really ugly." The lady was so furious that she stormed into the store and threatened to sue the store and have the bird killed. The store manager apologized profusely and promised the bird wouldn't say it again. The next day, when the lady walked past the store after work the parrot said to her, "Hey lady." She paused, scowled with an icy and deadly stare, and said with a hoarse voice, "Yes?" The bird, strutting back and forth on its perch in a cocky manner, said, "You know."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2