horn damping

jimbobo

Take a look under the "Updating Older Speakers" forum and you'll find a gazillion, plus or minus, posts talking about using rope caulk or Dynamat on the horns.

I used Dynamat, bought at local Pep Boys auto center, older icky brown version rather than newer, lighter weight, prettier but not as effective silver versions.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Hey James,

We talk about dampening not having a pool party with them.....

How'd they sound under water? Oops that's right, barely a peep..

Seriously, they say the ABS horns don't need dampening but you can hear the difference. Much less plasticy sounding, especially on quick loud transients.

Peter Z.

mdeneen,

Good point. Only thing I can think of is that damping with products that actually work (rope chaulk, Dynamat, whatever) is very labor intensive (= $$$) (took me an entire evening to get the Dynamat on both my squawker horns), and that products that spray on don't work well enough to be worth it.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Klipsch guys, any observations?

Dampening does seem logical. But the plain truth is, I just don't hear any problems in the mids now. In fact, I love the mids on my '98 k-horns. I'd even go so far as to say that k-horns' mid-range performance is the speakers' single strongest selling point. I know that's not the conventional wisdom concerning klipschorns, but it's just my opinion.

Can low frequency resonances that are transfered to the mid-horn audibly affect midrange performance? Or are the resonance problems people report originating in the mids' passband? Simple minds want to know!

------------------

JDMcCall

listen to a good quality piano or violin recording played thru a K-horn. A recording with good dynamic range. in fact listen to it thru just about any horn loaded mid-rage even JBL pro equipment, Altec etc (A7 is the worse).

Based on my hearing tests, accuracy is lost. The larger throat horns sound better but IMO direct radiators can be superior in the mid-range, especially small arrays.

the concept of bi-amped K-horn folded bass unit and direct radiator mid-range array has been persued by others with good results.

Spelling - onomatopoeics.

Easy. "Squawk":

squawk (skwôk)

v. squawked, squawk·ing, squawks.

v. intr.

(1) To utter a harsh scream; screech.

(2) Informal. To complain or protest noisily or peevishly.

"Squawk" is the sound typically heard uttered by people who listen to Klipsch speakers after having just purchased some other brand of speaker, hence the use of the term "squawker" do identify the most critical component of the speaker.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

My opinion is look at other reasons for your dislike of the mids and highs. Maybe equipment or maybe wire. But i will take my chorus II's straight-up thanks.

Adcom GFA 555MKII

Adcom GFP 555MKII

Cal Audio Icon MKII

Chorus II's

Cardas inters & cables

Rock on!!!

• 1 year later...

I applied one layer of rope caulk on the K-85-K tweeter (from my KG5.5) yesterday. I then did some quick listening tests. I could definitely tell a difference and it was more pronounced than I expected -- albeit still subtle. Based on my listening tests, I will be caulking the other tweeter very soon. The caulked tweeter seems to be less harsh with a cleaner overall sound. I will say the the plastic on these KG5.5 horns seems kind of weak (at least compared to the horn material used on the K-85-K in the KG4.2) so maybe that's why the caulk helped so much. I recommend others try this cheap tweak!

Back to the dampening issue. I used rope caulk on my la scalas. it made them less resonant but still overly bright. the midrange would drown out the highs and lows. i used (dont laugh) fabric softener sheets and placed them between the small gap between the horn throat opening and the driver assembly. They do not degrade the sound yet they take a few db's off. it actually stacked about 5 or 6 pieces on top of one another to do this. it makes a huge difference. i wouldnt do this if i were puting on a concert but it makes them so much more listenable in any room. it makes the highs sound crisper and stand out more. and the midrange is still just as strong, it just brings it down to the level of the highs and lows.

Good luck