Klipsch codes..Save or print out..

IndyKlipschFan

I am not sure who I got this from I appologise to who ever it was for not giving them propper credit. We get this question so much on here, I thought I would just post it.

KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947 ### 001 (ending #021)

1948-1961 #### 0121 (starting #0121)

1962-1983 ##letter#### 20Y1234

1984-1989(?) YY WW #### 89281234

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### 135791234

1998-2000 YY WW #### 00281234

1962-1983 Letter format

A = 1962 F = 1967 K = 1972 R = 1977 X = 1982

B = 1963 G = 1968 L = 1973 S = 1978 Y = 1983

C = 1964 H = 1969 M = 1974 T = 1979

D = 1965 I = 1970 N = 1975 U = 1980

E = 1966 J = 1971 P = 1976 W = 1981

NOTES

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

DOY= day of the year

YY=year (i.e. 99,00)

Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

WW=week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example - 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

• Klipsch Employees

Well its a bit vague, but from what I know the format and SN data was placed on computer around that time. Dont laugh, but they were using the old trash 80 and 8inch floppy disk. Remembering that we are a speaker co and how a floppy stores data you can put 2 and 2 togetherthe result is that we dont have that info any longer.

Every company makes mistakes from time to time, that was one of ours.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees

The II in the name of your speaker that has the letter K in the SN tells me that they may be of another style than the standard Cornwall. My 1967 models have the II in the name, and they have vertical mounted horns If you will send me an email at work I will try and look your speakers up in the old logbooks. That may give us a bit more info.

My best guess is that they are 1969.

• Like 1

----------------

On 2/15/2003 2:59:15 PM trey cannon wrote:

Well it’s a bit vague, but from what I know the format and SN data was placed on computer around that time. Don’t laugh, but they were using the old “trash 80” and 8inch floppy disk. Remembering that we are a speaker co and how a floppy stores data… you can put 2 and 2 together…the result is that we don’t have that info any longer.

Every company makes mistakes from time to time, that was one of ours.

----------------

Humm floppy disc and big *** magnets. Yeah I could see something bad happening there. You guys should have burnt it to a CD-ROM...oh wait nevermind :)

Serial numbers using the letter codes to denote the year of manufacture as given by Trey are correct. For obvious reasons the letter "Z" was not used (looks too much like a "2" when hand-written on the labels), and for the same reason the letter "V" was deleted, (since when hand-written it could easily be interpreted as EITHER a "U" or a "V"), this reasoning also underlies the deletion of the letters "O" and "Q"(since they could be easily misread as a zero...OR each other, when hand-written on labels).

I was working there when the decision to delete the letter "V" was made...but that decision came a bit late...since a number of speakers had already left the plant with a "V" on the label! So...if you ever see or read about one of the speakers having a "V" in its serial number...just believe it...because there are a few hundred of them (mostly Heresys, of course)produced in January of 1981 out there! LOL! And speaking of 1981...around late February of that year...all the final assembly people were called together to get a good "reaming" over the fact that SOME of the speakers had "W" letters on them that looked more like a "U"...and they were told to slow down when writing out the serial numbers on the labels and make sure their "W" LOOKED LIKE A "W"...LOL! Needless to say...we all heard about this at break time from the final assembly folks...most of whom said "How the hell can we slow down to do this 'W' the way they want it, and still get out what they expect us to get out the door each day?" Go figure!

Another interesting side-note: SOME of the speakers produced and shipped at the very end of November, 1977 ended up being labelled with an "S" in their serial number (again, Heresys...primarily decorator models), because there were only three digits allowable following the letter at the time, and so many were shipped that month, that it required those newbie employees in final assembly who wrote out the labels to go to the next letter to compensate for this. This oversite was corrected AFTER these had been shipped...and it was determined that it was "no big deal" as long as it didn't happen again...since it didn't involve many speakers to begin with.

Basically...what I am saying here is that there are instances of these codes not holding entirely true in determining the actual year of manufacture...but they are GENERALLY and FOR THE MOST PART true!

----------------

On 2/16/2003 10:04:29 PM trey cannon wrote:

The II in the name of your speaker that has the letter K in the SN tells me that they may be of another style than the standard Cornwall. My 1967 models have the II in the name, and they have vertical mounted horns If you will send me an email at work I will try and look your speakers up in the old logbooks. That may give us a bit more info.

My best guess is that they are 1969.
----------------

LOL!!! 9.gif9.gif9.gif - and I should buy products from you guys because... 2.gif

Sounds like a episode of Law & Order where some speakers got placed on a evidence box with tapes of a murder testimony. Be glad payroll wasn't on the disc9.gif