Small-er speaker room recommendation

endover

After about 27 years, my wife is having heartache over the physical size of my Chorus II's and associated academy speaker at the front of the family room.  I'm still fighting the good fight and doing my best to hold out and keep them however...it's only fair for me to investigate a smaller system to replace them.  My family room is roughly 20' x 25' with 9' ceiling.  My Yamaha Rx-V675 should have plenty of power to push whatever is needed.  With a budget of about $1,500(max), what do you folks recommend for the best matched (newer) speaker system.  This would be a 5.1 system and would include a new subwoofer as well.  Oh yeah...no floor-standing speakers up front...they must be smaller than that.  Our system is used 75% for movies and 25% for music.

Thanks for any input.

Obviously, being a Klipsch forum, we're going to recommend the award winning RP-600M.

But you're going to put them on stands, no?

If you put them on stands, they'll pretty much occupy the same space as your Chorus speakers,

so to me the switch doesn't make much sense.

And I know you said "no floorstanding speakers up front" but the new floor standers are actually narrower, offering a smaller

visual footprint. There's no chance you could get away with those?

In the end, if it's bookshelf or bust, get the RP-600M. Search the interwebs and you'll find nothing but outstanding reviews.

Looks like they're blowing out the original version at closeout prices to make room for the version II. That will leave much

more money for a subwoofer, and you'll be well within your budget.

I'm partial to SVS subwoofers and have an SB-1000 myself. I also like the HSU Research subs as they come with port

plugs so you can experiment between ported and sealed designs to see what you like.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, endover said:

After about 27 years, my wife is having heartache over the physical size of my Chorus II's and associated academy speaker at the front of the family room.  I'm still fighting the good fight and doing my best to hold out and keep them however...it's only fair for me to investigate a smaller system to replace them.  My family room is roughly 20' x 25' with 9' ceiling.  My Yamaha Rx-V675 should have plenty of power to push whatever is needed.  With a budget of about $1,500(max), what do you folks recommend for the best matched (newer) speaker system.  This would be a 5.1 system and would include a new subwoofer as well.  Oh yeah...no floor-standing speakers up front...they must be smaller than that.  Our system is used 75% for movies and 25% for music.

Thanks for any input.

I bet you are going to miss her.

• Haha 3