Will a $150 PS2 be a OK substitute for a DVD player?

kenratboy

OK, here's the deal:

I got a nice 27" JVC TV for my birthday. It has component video in and is nice, I mean, it is $300, so not like a 65" HD RPTV. What I want to do is instead of getting a (cheaper) DVD player is to go ahead and buy a PS2 (Playstation 2) and use it as a DVD player so I can have both a gaming console (sounds so geeky) for my room and also have it do double duty as a DVD player. I would use the component video out, so I would be utalizing that.

What do you think? Will it be fine for a $300 27" TV? It would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

We already have a PS2, Xbox, etc., but if anyone has had bad experiences with using a PS2 as a semi-serious DVD player, let me know and I will pick up a $150ish Sony or other brand of single tray DVD player.

Thanks 9.gif

I don't think the PS2 is that bad for playing DVD's.

I have not watched it side by side with other DVD players so I guess I could not say for sure about the picture quality.

The quality of the picture is affected a good deal depending on what output cable you use.

When I switched from the stock composite video cable to a monster s-video cable the picture improvement was unbelievable.

Items and menus on DVD's and games that used to be rather fuzzy are now bright and crisp.

I suppose if I wanted to I could get the component video cable but I suspect that I would not see as much of an improvement as before.

Btw, PS2's are only hard to play DVD's on if you don't know what you are doing.

Peace, Josh

Also, keep in mind that when the PS2 originally came out, it was a $300 piece of equipment. Also, at the time, any DVD players that where considered decent where around at least that much, plus with the PS2, you also had the benefit of playing games. I don't see any real reason why a PS2 could not be used as a DVD player, at least in a pinch, especially if budget and space requirments are small. However, I had not had the chance to see how the picture quality of the PS2 or even the XBox compare to a decent DVD player, so I cannot really comment on how well it would be. I can only guess that it is probably at least as good as the cheaper DVD players out there these days, especially if you hook it up using at least S-video and decent cabling - not running it through VCRs or whatever.

----------------

On 2/11/2003 10:46:10 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

I find the picture quality from the PS2 to be ok... it is not as good as my old DVD player which went downstairs now, but it is ok on my flatscreen.
9.gif
(yes, cheap brag shot... I know I am ashamed
8.gif
)
----------------

Yeah, but I have more 1:18 Porsche dicasts than you, wait, nevermind... I bet I will be the first person on the forum to have a Porsche Turbo though 9.gif

----------------

On 2/11/2003 11:59:59 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

----------------

On 2/11/2003 11:48:48 PM kenratboy wrote

I bet I will be the first person on the forum to have a Porsche Turbo though
9.gif"

----------------

Oh Yeah!!
3.gif

We'll have to see about that.

btw, tresspasserguy, what kind of flat screen do you have?

Peace, Josh

----------------

Do tell, what are your plans?

Porsche-Turbo-011.jpg

Kenratboy,

To start with I'm going to school here www.fullsail.com

If things go as planned I will be making the good money as a graphic designer in a few years.

My school has a very high job placement rate and the Digital Media/Graphic Design industry is one that has been growing at a faster than normal rate for a good while now. Not only that but I enjoy this kind of stuff, you know what they say, "if you have a job you love, you won't have to work a day in your life".

Seriously though, a porsche turbo is likely going to be on the back burner for a while after I get out of college since I will be paying off student loans.

Of course there are more klipsch to be acquired along the way as well1.gif

Peace, Josh

For me, I want to get a Audi S4 (the new one with uber V8) after I get out of college and get a job. Then, maybe when I am 30 or 35, I will have saved up enough money to buy a Porsche 997 Turbo 9.gif

After that, who cares, if I own a Porsche Turbo, life will be DONE for me.

Wait, we were talking about DVD players, right *shrug*

Ok, ok... you can laugh if you MUST, but the flatscreen is an Apex. If you feel it is laughable, go ahead... but I will say the picture looked just as good, if not better on some things than the Sony's, etc. in the same size-range and for a few hundred less too. It looks very nice, when THX Optimized, of course. 9.gif

Man, just complicate my life, will ya 11.gif

The more I think about it, I think it would just look better (to me) to have a actual DVD player. It will probably be a Sony, as my receiver and CD changer are too, and while not McIntosh quality, they have served my well for the last few years and that is better than having to send them in for warranty repair.

Hmmmm, cheap Sony DVD player it will be...

Anyone want to buy me a car so I can build my home theater?

Man, just complicate my life, will ya 11.gif

The more I think about it, I think it would just look better (to me) to have a actual DVD player. It will probably be a Sony, as my receiver and CD changer are too, and while not McIntosh quality, they have served my well for the last few years and that is better than having to send them in for warranty repair.

Hmmmm, cheap Sony DVD player it will be...

Anyone want to buy me a car so I can build my home theater?