What DIY Tube Amr for Klipschorns

rigma

If I wanted to spend $1,500 max for a pair of DIY or Kit Mono Blocks to power my Klipschhorns what would you recommend I consider. I listen to Jazz, Blues, Country and classic rock at up to about a 95db level. Currently I have the system Tri-Amped using all Crown amps, With Mac SS AV Preamp and at least for now would like to keep the woofer powered that way, the bass sounds great! I feel the Mid is too bright and harsh etc.. I also have AL's crossovers I can use and may want to just Bi-Amp them. I have very good soldering, woodworking and metal working skills but not electronic expertise, although I can read most schematics. I welcome everyones input as I am ready to start!

Tube amps can be good and a kit should be a fine way to go. Based on my experience with the Type AL, it would be a bigger problem. They have overbearing, honky midrange that is seriously lacking in detail due to the ringing the squawker and probably the woofer filters do. How did you get ALs in a K-horn?

If you are tri-amping with Crown amps, you should have control over the levels, but unless they are old DC-300As or D-150s, they are going to be harsh. Why don't you try a nice Mac, Aragon, Proceed, or B&K MOSFET amp around 100 watts and switch to a Type AA, AK-3, or ALK crossover? I'll bet you'll be much happier. One of Klipsch' trainers has said he'd never seen a Heritage system sucessfully biamped with SS and tube amps together.

Thanks John,

The crossovers I am speaking of are Al Klappenbergers not Klipsch AL. The amps are (2)Crown DC-300A, (2)DC-150 all Series II and (2)DC-75 all in Mono. I have a Crown IQ USM-810, which is crossover, delay & parametric EQ.

for triamping you can leave the SS amp for the woofer and will want something smoother for the mids and highs...

you are going to get two types of reccomendations:

1. for the $1,500 buy vintage and mod/upgrade the hell out of them (Eico, pilot, scott, dynaco are all candidates)

2. go with SET kits like:

bottlehead (parsglows or parabees)

DIYHIFI (billies maybe Joplins)

audioelectronicsupply (division of cary) for the SE-1

I have yet hear a SET in my system, though I have bought a pair of 2A3 monoblocks and I am waiting for delivery, but there is pretty consistent agreement that SETs and K-horns go together like white on rice. I have a PP el34 monoblocks which sound pretty darn good right now. My only worry (which will be confirmed or denied in a few weeks when my SETs arrive) are if they SET can handle Rock and Pop music as well as it does small group music, if it can play loud enough and with some guts...others can comment on their experiences with SET/K-horns. I will post once I get mine and given a thorough wringing out. mean while good luck and take your time investigating, it is an important investment. regards, tony

I'd definitely look at the 2A3 Paraglows with the upgraded options. If not DIY, look at used Welbourne Labs 2A3's, Wright 2A3's...actually I never heard (not to steal from Joe Roberts!) a bad sounding 2A3 amp with K-horns!!! And believe me, there are a ton of amps that make the K-horn sound poor...probably why the K-horn sometimes gets a bad rap from audiophools!

2A3's & K-horns are made for each other!

Audios,

Pete1.gif

Consonance DIY Billies. Very favorable reviews and compared to the Bottlehead stuff. Very easy kit to make. Lots of mod possibilities. Very inexpensive.

You can look at them on http://www.diyhifisupply.com or http://www.diycable.com.

A thorough review here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/thorsten1/billie.htm

Lots of info on audio asylum. I will be building the Consonance Ella kit in the next month or two.