Would you put these in your RF-7's?

Deang

What is it? 9.gif It certainly can't make those "ear-bleeders" sound any worse right? Just messing with you Dean, I remember back when you vilified Heritage and the Rf7's were the pinnacle of sound. You used that ear-bleeders reference a lot. 10.gif They look good, who did the work 1.gif, and when will we have the detailed review. I hope we don't have to wait for that break-in period on the wire some insist is necessary.11.gif

I built these with the help of Leo, who taught me how to trace out a PCB and read his schematic.

Overall, I'm happy with the job I did. I didn't have the proper standoffs for the multiple contact points for the wire. I made them using lead free silver solder with a higher melting point than the Cardas I used to actually solder the speaker wires with. I pinched two together, set them on the back of one of the PCB's, and melted them together.

The wire is 14 AWG silver coated stranded copper. It was the best I could do with the money I had left. It will have to do for now.

Inductors were custom wound by Madisound. Inductance values are dead on, but the DCR's are slightly off. Only talking 10ths of an ohm here, so I should be O.K. We'll see. If this doesn't work out, I'll wind some myself with 23 gauge, instead of the 22 gauge Madisound used. This will bring the DCR's up to the original spec.

Should be interesting.

As far as my "earbleeder" comments of the past, I can only say I couldn't have been more wrong. Of course, I realized this after having the Heresies in the house.

The RF-7's ARE the pinnacle of sound as far as I'm concerned. They fit in with my ears perfectly.

Now, I was going to save this -- but I will say it now.

The cat is out of the bag.

The similairity in signatures between the Cornwalls and RF-7's are striking. I can guarantee you that Klipsch compared the prototype RF-7's to the Cornwalls every step of the way.

Mr. Gassel? Would you care to comment?

Good eye Mark. Everything is extremely secure -- except the resistors, which I suspend off of the board so they can dissipate heat.

You are the first person to mention this. Everyone else has told me to get them off the board. Hmmm. Probably not a problem though. The board will be hot glued to a 1" thick pad of acoustic foam, which is then hot glued to one of the window pane cross-braces in the cabinet. They will be exposed to acoustic vibration -- but mechancial vibration will be just about nil. I'll post pictures of what this looks like tomorrow morning.

• 4 weeks later...

The board will be hot glued to a 1" thick pad of acoustic foam, which is then hot glued to one of the window pane cross-braces in the cabinet

------------------

Not being an expert on these matter, but I do have a question. If the new crossover network is glued to a 1" thick pad of acoustic foam, would this not slightly change the Q value of the speaker by reducing the internal volume. I have no idea if this change is microscopic or noticeable, but I thought I would pose this question for the experts on this forum.

The mods look great and you will notice a difference between the original network and the new one. The inductors and capacitors will take time to "burn in", Just turn on the tuner and let them play for a while, maybe 150 hours. I noticed differences at 50, 100 and 150 hours of "burn in" time with both the inductor and capacitors (I did both changes separately about a year ago).

Did you also replace the cable inside the speaker? If you're making changes, you might as well go for the whole bundle.

Q schmue

Klipsch has some acoustic foam rolled up and squished into the top, against the back. I pulled it out, unrolled it, and cut a piece off for my crossover, rolled the rest back up and squished it back in. If anything, my board on that top brace is probably just preventing standing waves from bunching up in the top corners. :)

The wire coming off of my board is the Northcreek 14 AWG silver coated copper. In spite of the fact that I can't find one positive comment anywhere about silver coated copper -- it seems O.K. to me. Some crap about a chemical process that's used to get the silver on the copper compromising the sound. Yeesh, I feel Audio Nervosa setting in. How am I supposed to trust my ears with all this brainwashing going on? Uhgg.

A question about your interconnects. Did you make them? I don't understand what the third strand does.