Turntable question ?

Dale W

At the entry level, my local dealer suggests the V.P.I hw 19 junior. They do sell turntables up into and past the 20k mark but thats way out of my reach right now. suggested arm is rb-300 /250 .

Anyone own or have a V.P.I product or have a suggestion in the $1500.00 to $2000.00 range ( canadian play money that is).

I've been thinking that my cd player is almost a waste in regards to my new tube gear. Now i'll be shopping for a phono stage as well.

Not sure about the turntable but the Rega Rb 250 is a good arm. It can be upgraded, see: http://www.gcaudio.com/gcasteals.html

and look under Analog, Origin Live. They do upgrades to the 250 arm that are supposed to make a major difference, the back counterweight being the more dramatic difference. Origin Live also has a website, but are located in the UK. They have more information on their site about the changes.

Don

Art Dudley, of the late lamented Listener Magazine (sigh) now writing for $tereophile (double sigh) has this to say about the VPI Scout with JMW-9 tonearm:

"This is a flat-out, unconditional, 'holy mother of crap, I can't believe how good this thing is' recommendation."

Certainly got my attention. US1500.00 as reviewed.

Dave

Dale,

If you can afford to go a little extra the VPI Aries Scout / JMW 9 combination is a great deck. It goes for about $1500.00 in the US, not sure what it goes for up north. Jazman has one and likes it a lot, the one I have has a Rega RB900 arm and seems to be a good combo. The HW-19 Jr is still a good deck and very upgradeable - definitely a good start if you want to go a bit more conservative pricewise.

scout2.jpg

Art really did give the VPI Scout a glowing review. But I do think this will stretch your Canadian Dollars budget a bit going the full nine yards. IF you have a good eye for setup, you might buy the table at $800 or so USD, and then find a used RB-250 up north. This would save a bit but would obviously be more a pain.

I have had a VPI Jr. in my house and heard them at friends. It's a very competent table and easy to use. But I preferred the Linn LP-12 to the VPI Jr. even though the Linn is a lot more to deal with. I think it the more involving table. It's a great used option if there is a Linn up there used. Buy used from down here seems to be bring a heavy tax and pain to boot. Any good used Canadian sources? You can also find a used VPI HW-19 Mk III or so occasionally. What are they offering the VPI Jr. for in Canadian dollars?

btw, here are pics of a VPI HW-19 Mk III with the TNT platter upgrade:

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/vpi_mk3.htm

Also, how big a vinyl collection do you have, Dale? You know, if you have no vinyl, you almost have to ask yourself if it's worth it to start from scratch. This might seem strange coming from a vinyl junkie, but I would seriously consider it. You might not think it worth it in the long run. This just depends on your taste and setup.

kh

Mobile,

from what I understand he has a huge collection. I thought I had him talked out of it but looks like I lost out there Heh !!

For the money dale don't hessitate to buy the Music Hall MMF-7 I'm sure it's not the end all of tables but it does a great job for $800 US with a top notch $400 needle. Just a thought ! I'm sure its not a VPI scout but I bet it sounds darn close !! ( just to save the hassle BET means I don't know for sure)

Craig

Yeah, now that I remember it, he mentioned this collection to me as well. Oh well...just trying to save the nervosa and pain of starting a whole new game. You are going to need a phono stage as mentioned.

Craig's talk of the MMF-7 is a good one as well, if only in that it's a very sound table with good ideas behind it, not to mention the fact that it comes WITH arm and a $400 Eroica cartridge. I have NO idea how much it costs up there, however. If it cost more than $800USD up there...as in WAY over this, there might be better options.

IF the guy is a VPI dealer up there, he no doubt has the Scout, the fastest selling VPI right now. Anyone have Music Hall nearby? I will say that VPI is a bit better made and will have the ability to acquire a better arm, but the MMF-7 is a one of the best fully packages deals around. Besides, I made a manual for it! heh...

kh

KELLY: One of the advantages to the V.P.I is the fact that it can be built in stages ( as the ducets permit) lol.

Audio ark deals in v.p.i,sumiko,pro-ject, benz micro,cardas,clearaudio,grado,graham,linn and oracle.

So those are the "new" brands i have to choose from, they also take back in trade if you want to upgrade in the future. I believe he qouted me 1400.00 canadian for the junior ( without an arm).

I have a couple hundred records, and my sister and parents have some oldies that are collecting dust in there basements . Plus the flee markets around here are filled with lp's of every tasted. Seems like cd's have dominated the new market.

Might have to beg our french friend to construct a phono stage.2.gif

Edit: come to think about it, couple hundred is more like about 800, give or take a few hundred .

Dale,

Just browsing through when I saw your TT question. At the price range you stated, 1400-2000 Canadian, the Scout with the JMW9 arm is very close to your range. About 2,273.86 CAD($1500 USD)should net you a VPI Scout with the JMW9 arm. I felt it was worth the additional expenditure. I considered other VPI table and arm combos but the Scout continually won out because of (1)the sonic value the JMW arm brings with it based on the price, (2)the Scout has the isolated motor design,(3)uses the improved TT bearing design,(4) the least fussy table to set up and maintain, (4) it willtake you several 19Jr. upgrades to reach the performance already in the Scout.

That said, there are always great used VPI TT buys available on the Audiogon site if you want the VPI 19 series. BTW, how does the darn Canadian government know you're buying and bringing in a TT, and then tax you on it? I know my few Canadian friends are always lamenting that tax on things they take back.

Klipsch out.

JAZMAN: Thanx for the info .

Almost everything shipped into the counrty has to clear "customs" this is where the cash is spent. 1) they nail you 7% gst ( we call that gouge and scrape tax) but it means goods and services tax. If you live in a province with PST ( provincial sales tax ) you will have to pay that as well. 6% to 12% depending where you live . Then you have to pay the customs dudes to clear the item for you then duty depending on the value of item purchased. Plus you have to keep in mind our weak dollar 63cents to one usd. So it costs us around a buck and a half to buy one usd !!! Thats why so many americans come to canada to vacation, your dollar goes a long way up here.

My dynaco amps that i bought from colorado cost me $980.00 canadian , that was $600.00 usd. Get the point ???14.gif

So not to mention shipping or customs or our shi##y dollar. If i can find a good deal localy it saves a lot of hassle.

I can tell you first hand that vacationing in Canada is the bomb ! Its almost as good money wise as Mexico !! I've been going to Northern Ontario for almost 35 years now and wouldn't miss for the world great friendly people and a laid back way of life. I am seriously thinking once the economy wakes back up from the nightmare 7.gif I'm going to buy some property and file dual residency !!