Found out why my woofer is rattling!

Abuzah

Hey guys! Alright, so I ordered a pair of SB-3s a week or so back. These speakers were only run for about an hour at modest levels. On some frequencies, not all, one of the woofers was rattling, so I e-mailed the company that sent them to me. They *say* they're going to send me a replacement, but I've heard some bad things about their customer support. They are not an authorized Klipsch dealer, which I found out after I had bought the speakers. Anyways, per the company's instructions, I removed the woofer. I kinda did my own little snooping around with it, and found that when I push on the cone, it seems to make a scraping noise. I can't really tell where it's coming from, but if I push on the cone from the other speaker, there is no scraping noise. So it would seem to me that this could be the problem. There's nothing physically on the cone or touching it; nothing rubbing up against it that I can see. Any ideas as to why this would be "scraping" something? Any potential fix so I can get around this company in case they attempt to shaft me? Thanks guys!

He's right, that woofer should be replaced. The scraping COULD be a somewhat crunched voice coil that still inserted in to the magnet housing. Or, if memory serves, there is supposed to be a ferro fluid (looks like dark lithium grease) in the housing to help cool the voice coil. If that fluid isn't there of not enough was put in it could very well start scraping the housing. Just a thought...

well if you're feeling a bit more ambitious, you could always remove the dust cap and inspect the voice coil for yourself. the only question i might have for you is if you're able to push the woofer (at like an angle) to avoid the scraping...to me, it sounds like you're gonna have to align your diaphragm. it's not that hard of a thing to do, but it involves some cutting and regluing of your speakers (which isn't exactly easy on the nerves) 2.gif

worse case scenario, im sure some audio store in your area (ie, tweeter) would be more than willing to fix them for you (but of course they'll charge you for it) 2.gif

so if u decide to fix em yourself, let us know and some1 might be able to guide you to some sites with pictures and step by step instructions. (i know the first time i attempted something like this, i was a bit worried but in the end i was glad i did it myself...it's really an easy project, and lots of fun)

the voice coil is scraping, given that the darn things are new you should be able to have them replaced under "dealer warranty", even if they are not an authorized dealer (and thus will get no warranty support form klipsch itself), they have an obligation to stand by any product sold, in many states they can be criminally liable. does any of theri literature offer any kind of guarantee of the product? call the dealer and ask about the RMA procedure, rather than send you a replacement woofer ask them to replace the speakers. I would not try to fix them myself until you have exhausted any chance of replacement. best of luck, tony