This RSW-15 is getting on my nerves.

cdsang

I have had this thing for a few weeks now but with very little time to expermiment. It seems no matter what I do to the settings, my towers(RF-3IIs mind you) seem to do a better job. I tried the right corner which my mains are at and its doing this. Had the tower and sub switched still same thing. A little bit foward that is about the same lenght of the sub closer. I did this to perhaps help set the phase to exactly what my towers were doing. Some improvement but still detectable. It could be my room, could just be my ears noticed stuff. My room is a small 11 by 10 foot by 8 foot room that is enclosed from the outside. My reciver is a Yamaha RX-V992 and I am useing Monster Bass 300 Cable. I dunno where my scanner is so I'll have to tell how my room is. Right now I have my towers about 2 feet from the side walls and 1 foot from the back. My bed is on the middle back and is a twin size bed. I don't think my dresser or nightstand is going to make much diffence. If you need any other info just ask. Any answers would be great, thank you in advance.

----------------

On 2/22/2003 11:45:53 PM cdsang wrote:

I have had this thing for a few weeks now but with very little time to expermiment. It seems no matter what I do to the settings, my towers(RF-3IIs mind you) seem to do a better job. I tried the right corner which my mains are at and its doing this. Had the tower and sub switched still same thing. A little bit foward that is about the same lenght of the sub closer. I did this to perhaps help set the phase to exactly what my towers were doing. Some improvement but still detectable. It could be my room, could just be my ears noticed stuff. My room is a small 11 by 10 foot by 8 foot room that is enclosed from the outside. My reciver is a Yamaha RX-V992 and I am useing Monster Bass 300 Cable. I dunno where my scanner is so I'll have to tell how my room is. Right now I have my towers about 2 feet from the side walls and 1 foot from the back. My bed is on the middle back and is a twin size bed. I don't think my dresser or nightstand is going to make much diffence. If you need any other info just ask. Any answers would be great, thank you in advance.

----------------

If your RF-3's are "doing a better job" and you are absolutely sure you've tried everything, take it back to the dealer and have them order you another one. I can set mine anywhere in the room with my RF-7's and there is still no way the 7's will do a "better job"

~shoe

I may have mislead you. I got so upset I forgot the biggest thing. My sub plays louder then my RF-3IIs without a problem. Its just when I use my sub to blend in with my towers, the bass has to be set so low to not be detectable, that my towers on large and so on has more bass. Although, I have noticed some improvements. I belive the bass is more defined and for sure goes lower and adds to effects.

----------------

On 2/23/2003 12:44:54 AM cdsang wrote:

I may have mislead you. I got so upset I forgot the biggest thing. My sub plays louder then my RF-3IIs without a problem. Its just when I use my sub to blend in with my towers, the bass has to be set so low to not be detectable, that my towers on large and so on has more bass. Although, I have noticed some improvements. I belive the bass is more defined and for sure goes lower and adds to effects.

----------------

ummm, I'm not trying to be insulting, but maybe you just don't know exactly what the sub is supposed to do. it isn't supposed to play the same bass effects as the rf-3's. if you have it set up, you should be able to put your ear right up to the sub, and listen to a complex bass song and hear the chord progression as it gets lower on the rf-3's, than cut out from the rf-3 and transfer to the RSW-15. erk, I don't know if that makes sense or not, but the RSW-15 shouldn't be doubling up on the sound with the RF-3's, and if it is, it's going to come across as over powering in some frequency ranges and too soft in others. you could try adjusting with the crossover settings, perhaps setting them a bit lower?

cdsang,

In this case find the spot where the sub has the MOST output,then set your mains to FULL RANGE,cut the sub at 40Hz.This way you will not be able to tell where the sub is,play with the crossover point,the RSW15 should just extend where your mains cannot.

In some rooms its not easy to just set the mains to SMALL and blend them with the sub(as it has to climb to 80Hz).In my two rooms this is not a problem.

If this does not help just get a Sunfire Signature or SVS Ultra 3.gif These two GO DEEEP and are not so great in the midrange 2.gif You will never complain about localising the sub

Is there any chance this is a bass management problem wth the avr?Try it away from corner?If you have tried the other suggestions made and still have a problem,this may be tooo much sub(upper hz) for an 10x11 room.I would not want my 15 in a very small room,it has way more than enough volume to fill my 24x24.If cranked it over powers everthing in my room,rf7's and all.The 12 would have been enough punch, although I do use other subs for extreme lows.Good Luck

The RF3II's look like they would go pretty low.

I would think that most of the time your sub wouldn't have to be doing anything at all.

Most albums don't have much info recorded that low.

If you are turning up the volume an your sub to where you can hear it on most recordings it would make sense that it would stand out.

As far as blending with the main speakers goes sometimes less is more.

There are test tone cd's available that you can use to set the levels on your subwoofer and main speakers.

A lot of times when setting the levels by ear it is easy to have the sub set to loud.

Peace, Josh

Well I guess you can say I cheated. I put the sub under where the center speaker is, but the bad part is, I won't know if its set to high. Well I got a test tone CD last year, tried it out and it seems the settings are much higher then they should be. I set my sub out to 0(Max) and the sub to half way, and my reciver bass is half way with the equalizer bypassed. When I had my sub in the corner I didn't need this much. My readings now are about 3 db less then each other speaker. The sub doesn't seem less louder then it was in the corner, but hey for a room this size, are you suprised. Any ideas?

well the center speaker is a few feet higher then the sub. Basicly, my RF-3s and my RC-3 are about the same hight, maybe 1 or 2 inches off. I don't notice it rattling it off or anything, but I hardly go over 105 dB. The only time I do is to see how loud I can get it. I useally listen to about 75-85 dB.