Gap behind Khorns

ssh

Not sure what you mean by the "base plywood". If it's the "base" of the HF section, and that butts into the top of the tail piece, then "yes", you should put a seal there.

Basically you have each side of the speaker sealed to the wall in two places; one horizontal and one vertical.

We should just draw a picture, huh? :)

OK, managed a seal with available materials on one. Now, I've sealed the HF section previously. Does the TOP seal provide any function? If not, I could scavenge enough to give the other horn a try.

Also, what of the cutout at the bottom of the tailboard? It seems a bit deep to simply be for baseboard clearance, but perhaps its the angle?

Dave

I sealed my Khorns with closed-cell foam weather striping between the top & bottom units, and between the wall & outside edge of the top unit that forms the top of the bass horn. Since I bolted the tail board to a wood corner plate as I described above, the back of the corner/wall area is already sealed tightly.

My Khorns are on a heavy, commercial weight, thick pile, medium height carpet. I used to have them on a tiled floor & sealed them along the bottom edge with closed-cell foam. I didn't notice any difference with the Khorns sitting on the carpet. And since the shortest wavelengths the bass horn has to produce are over 2 feet long, I don't see any advantage to the Khorn needing to be on a "hard surface" such as a tiled or hardwood floor in the corner. In fact, the carpet may actually help absorb any extraneous higher frequencies emminating from the woofer. I did not physically bolt my Khorns to the wall/foundation corner plate until they had been sitting there a long time so that the carpet pile & the underlayment could settle under the weight of the Khorn.

Dave, you can bring out quite a bit more bass from the Khorns by proper room damping, acoustically. In my experience, its not really been a case of "bass shy". Its more of a "too much room midrange/treble" problem. Auralex & Sonex make open-cell acoustic absorption foam in various configurations that can be applied to the rear & rear side walls. I use a continuous run of Auralex lenrd bass trap across the top rear wall/ceiling intersection. And a combination of 3" Sonex "classic" anechoic wedge panels & 2" Auralex DST 114 on the back wall (about 70% coverage) with some extending around the rear side walls. I don't have pictures of the rear wall yet as I'm still tweaking the acoustics in this room's fourth revision. You might want to take a peak at my thread in the Architectural topic area ("artto's klipschorn room"). You can use 1-1/2 "T" pins (like those to hold papers & such on those fabric office partitions) to hold the foam panels in place while you experiment. The pins won't do much damage to drywall & it can be easily repaired if it does.

http://www.auralex.com/acoustic_foam_dst_114/acoustic_foam_dst_114.asp

http://www.auralex.com/bass_traps_lenrd/bass_traps_lenrd.asp

http://www.mhtc.net/~lowey/Acoustical%20Foams.htm

A device you might try is a pro effects unit called the Aphex Aural Exciter 204. It adds an apparent increase in bass without actually boosting the bass output. Cone excursion stays the same & it doesn't require more amplifier power. A little goes a long way with this unit so use it judiciously. Being more of a purist, I prefer the acoustic route, but the Aural Exicter is an option. They made a model 104 which you can probably buy used for $100-150.

http://www.aphex.com/

Hmmm... seems I'm invading someone else's thread here, but hopefully my questions are providing info useful to him as well.

The Aphex has been around a long time. Never heard one, but quite a bit of excitement in the late '70s. I've also used a lot of Sonex in my time...though a bit pricey for me at the moment. Further, I am quite happy with the mid and high response.

The little bass booster I use doesn't seem to make the bass tubby or anything, so I am not unhappy with it except in the sense it makes me feel like PWK is scowling down at me. I feel the same result can be achieved without this aid by proper sealing.

Your point about the base plywood is understood technically. However, sometimes things that don't make much sense technically work anyway...perhaps for some other reason. Any, it's such a cheap tweak I may give it a try if I am not satisfied with the results of sealing the bass cabinet.

Dave

Hmmm... seems I'm invading someone else's thread here, but hopefully my questions are providing info useful to him as well.

The Aphex has been around a long time. Never heard one, but quite a bit of excitement in the late '70s. I've also used a lot of Sonex in my time...though a bit pricey for me at the moment. Further, I am quite happy with the mid and high response.

The little bass booster I use doesn't seem to make the bass tubby or anything, so I am not unhappy with it except in the sense it makes me feel like PWK is scowling down at me. I feel the same result can be achieved without this aid by proper sealing.

Your point about the base plywood is understood technically. However, sometimes things that don't make much sense technically work anyway...perhaps for some other reason. Any, it's such a cheap tweak I may give it a try if I am not satisfied with the results of sealing the bass cabinet.

Dave

OK, experiment complete sans floorboards. I found another roll of foam in the garage and duly appied to the tailboard top to bottom. Tilted the beasties up, shoved them up against the wall and let them down slowly. All the areas of tailboard visible appear to be sealed nicely to the wall.

Initial impression was that things tighted up a bit. I note that the Klipsch instructions above suggest such sealing was most effective at 200-400hz. I suppose "tighter" is somewhat consistent with that.

I put on the Telarc Michael Murray recording from the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. This has one of the most demanding bass tracks I've ever heard because it is QUIET. 32" pipes with the swell shutters closed. It's about 5:00 into the Franck Choral.

Very nice. Even though I had relatively low volume set, I had to switch my rear Fraziers out as they rattled a bit. Them big 'ol horns did what they do best...quietly rumbled the room cleanly.

If it is possible for me to hear the difference in the first watt of a VT70i and a good SET amp, I'll be it would be here. I suspect this was pulling .5 watt or less.

Anyway, thanks to all. Nice tweak for a sleety, nasty day. Maybe I'll try the plywood next.

Dave

Ahrrrrrrg. I beginning to hate this web engine. If it don't double post, it 401's then loses the post.

Anyway, Bob and I shared a love for French organ music, and he and I and Dave were all in the band frat. Both were Klipsch heads, and Dave and I got a personal tour of the plant from PWK in 1971. We kept up contact (Adcock and I) until about 7 years ago when his phone and address in ElD went bad on me. Tried several searches since without luck. Worries me. Good man. He was working for some Minnesota bank supply outfit at the time.

Dave