Audire Amp

easylistener

----------------

On 2/26/2003 5:13:22 PM easylistener wrote:

My father has a Audire forte 250 amp and he called me the other night and asked me what it was worth. I didn't know. Any of you know? He is thinking of selling it.

----------------

The Forte is a very good, well designed solid state amp, the equal of most any other ab amp.

It is true dual mono, low tim and negative feedback, and wide banded.

It subscribes to Dr. Matti Otala's school of design, and is truly a "no nonesense" amp.

I had one for years, then moved up to the Audire Parlando, a 95 lb pure class A monster !

The Forte should be worth 400 dollars if its in good shape w/ box, manual, etc.

I saw one go on Audiogon for around that.

I would highly reccommend the Forte for a budget amp, it is a real sleeper, and there are very few people as nice as Julius Siskinus,,its designer.

You are sure right about Julius. I was getting some noise, and thought it was the pre-amp. I called Julius (his plant is within driving distance) and he said bring it over! I did, he put it on a scope and there was nothing! He gave me my first lesson on the use of cheap interconnects. Sure enough, I bought some better ones and there was no noise. He showed me around his plant and we talked. He noticed I had bought the pre-amp with a rack mount and asked me about that...I said I don't use it in a rack so he switched face plates for me. He had a set of some electro static, or maybe another flat technology speakers, and we listened to a couple pieces of music. He spent quite a bit of time with me. He made me feel more like a friend than a customer. I suggested he get a website back then, he wasn't too sold on it...but he has put one up afterwards. Saddly, there have been no updates on it. I have been curious as to what his amp would have sounded like with the pre-amp and my Khorns, but I discovered tubes instead! What a guy! I can't praise him enough!

diffet3sm.gif

Audire Diffet 3 pre-amp

The Diffet 3 was designed for the most discerning listeners. The ability to resolve minute detail with openness and great dynamic range is achieved with a sophisticated, discrete high-current circuit, utilizing differential field effect transitors in the input stages. DC coupled stages without any capicitors in the signal path recreates a wide sound stage with natural transients. The power supply has 26,000 microfarads of filtering. The Diffet 3 is available with or without a moving coil stage, and offers the same switching flexibility as the Legato.

forte.gif

Audire Forte

The Forte is an extremely powerful amplifier, using a dual mono construciton. The power is rated conservatively at 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms (Class AB). Each channel has a power supply which uses 500 watt transformers and 76,000 microfarads of filtering. The Forte can deliver high-current into low impendance or difficult speaker loads. Both balanced and RCA style inputs are standard. (The Forte is also available in a MOSFET version.)

parlando.gif

Audire Parlando

The Parlando is a true Class A amplifier, which is reflected in the size:8-3/4" tall by 19" wide by 18-1/2" deep and weighing in at 85 pounds. The Parlando is a dual mono construction, using 32 output transitors and 8 drivers per channel with 208,000 microfarads of filtering, creating 100 watts of Class A power. Both balanced and RCA style inputs are standard.

Nuances and subteties formerly masked will come alive. The Parlando delivers sound with a smoothness, spaciousness, and clarity only possible with a well designed, Class A amplifier

----------------

On 2/27/2003 3:16:36 AM AndyKub wrote:

ka7niq
, How does the Parlando sound compared to your Fisher SA?

----------------

depends on what speaker you use it on !

On the CF 4 version 1, its no contest, the Parlando smokes the Fisher, and the Fisher even has had its Caps all replaced with Sideral's !

Remember them ?

But thats no suprise, I have never had any amp hang with a Parlando for long.

I have owned Krell KSA 100, Aragon 4004, Bedini 25/25/ 100/100/ 1meg, Levinson ML1, etc.

Recently we put the Parlando head to head against a the Kora tube amps, and it sounded better to me and everyone else present EXCEPT the Kora owner on a pair of VMPS RM 40's.

The Fisher has its place, but not on CF 4,s !

Roy Delgados wonderful speakers need current for the big neo magnet driven dual 12" woofers that dip into 3 ohms!

That was a lot of the problem with Roy's masterpiece, the CF 4 's !

People tried to drive em Klipsch style with puny receivers and small tube amps, and the dual low impedance 12's ran the puny little receivers out of current, and they clipped, and then the 2 inch K 63 neo driver let you hear it, and then they blamed the speaker !

The Fisher , which I just sold, is a good little amp.

Stock, it has flabby bass, a rolled of high end, and a lush , wonderful midrange, full and rich !

Did some one say La Scala ??

It is the amp of choice for a la Scala, if its stock.

However, with the new capacitors, the bass gets punchy, and the high end extends, at some cost to midrange purity.

But, I would recommend it either way, especially for the money.

Imaging also improved w/ cap change too.

I really think its hard to beat tubes and SET amps on the La Scalas, Khorns, etc.

Been there, done that, had fun.

But for the CF 4, especially the originals, before the powers that be at Klipsch ruined Roy Delgados masterpiece, you need a ultra clean, high current amp, free of switching and thermal debiasing distortion, that says " I am the Boss " to your speakers, and has the muscle to back it up.

With 208, 000 MFD of capacitance, and 16 output transistors the size of quarters per side, driven by 8 drivers, Parlando can deliver the goods.

Combined with the original Cf 4's on a good recording, the results can be absolutely stunning.

In a large room, the CF 4 - Parlando combo will Illuminate the whole room with an image that is shockingly 3 dimensional, with a clarity much like my old Quad 57's.

But they are touchy speakers as to placement, cables, interconnects, DAC, etc.

I could see why Klipsch had trouble with them, it has taken all of my 30 some years of Audio experience, and much trial and error to get them right, but man, what a reward !

These speakers were aimed at the High End Audiophile, guys like me.

I want to thank Roy Delgado, PWK's protegee, for his gift to the Audio World.

You succeeded Roy, and keep the faith my friend, there are many in the know Audiophiles out here that love your masterpiece, and have the equipment, perseverance, and experience to get out of it what you intended !

Well your post certainly makes me want to hear one! Especially since I already have the pre-amp. But as you say, It depends upon the speakers, and I only have the Khorns, which, even in your admission, match more nicely with tubes.

and there are very few people as nice as Julius Siskinus,,its designer.

Very true...what was your experience with him?

----------------

On 2/28/2003 1:05:34 AM AndyKub wrote:

Well your post certainly makes me want to hear one! Especially since I already have the pre-amp. But as you say, It depends upon the speakers, and I only have the Khorns, which, even in your admission, match more nicely with tubes.

and there are very few people as nice as Julius Siskinus,,its designer.

Very true...what was your experience with him?

----------------

I have never tried a Parlando on Khorns, I just feel, based on my experience with Belles and La Scalas, that Tubes may be better,, but i never did A/B comparasion.

I think the Parlando would be as good, and probably better than any solid state amp you could use.

I go back with Julius 20 years.

I had some Straethern Ribbon drivers that he modified by lowering the resonant frequency, allowing me to run 6 of them per side, full range !

Recently, when I was lucky enough to find the Parlando used, Julius completely up dated it, and went through it for about 250 dollars.

I am fortunate, I have the OLD style Parlando, with the Larger heatsinks, before he changed it.

Julius can place a larger transformer in the old style amps, and get 150 watts Pure Class A out of them !

At 100 watts, My Parlando is just loafing.

Thats the advantage of the larger heatsinks.

Julius is a wonderful person, a true Audiophile who loves music.

He likes ribbon speakers, the Yankee Ribbon is his design, he licensed the technology.

BTW, I once met Mark Levinson, back in 1981, he came out to Seattle where I used to live to visit Definitive Audio, my friends store.

I asked him what the ultimate speaker was, and he told me Khorns !

He said you need to turn the tweeters Vertical, and use some Eq, he was using the Prototype of what was to become the Chello Audio Pallette !

Hows that !

----------------

On 3/1/2003 4:40:28 PM AndyKub wrote:

I would assume that if you heard the Parlando on Belles, that Khorns will sound similar. They are the same drivers I believe. Now that you mentioned ribbon speakers, perhaps thats what he played for me...they did sound great, but were waaaaaay out of my price range.

----------------

I never heard the Parlando on Belles, I had Belles way back in 82, they didnt stay in my house long !

I bought em used, perhaps they werent right ?

I would love to try my Parlando on Khorns, but my room cant support them, no corners to speak of !

But if I had Khorns, I would be looking for some old MacIntosh Tube amps if it were me.

Parlandos are hard to find, especially used, but I just feel the artificial warmth of some old tube stuff is made to order for Khorns.

There is no one best amp or speaker, they are all wrong, everything in audio is wrong, everything !

The trick is to take a bunch of wrongs, and make a right !

The CF 4 - Parlando combo is magic, but the Fisher SA 16 sounds bad on the CF 4.

You should have bouhght my Sa 16 !

It was just sold on Audiogon for 275 dollars !

It had that thick, tubey midrange warmth one needs for Khorns !

As Julius, He is a prince.

I have never heard the Audire full range ribbons, or the Yankee Ribbons either, but those in the know tell me they are awesome.

I just love my CF 4's !

Mine are the original ones, the most misunderstood speaker Klipsch ever made.

They do all I want in a speaker, except they are possibly a bit too revealing of source and equipment, but a lot of that has to do with my smallish room.

I will buy Khorns as soon as I get a place with corners.

But they are going to have their hands full un seating the CF 4's !

I Love imaging, and a big, 3 dimensional soundstage, do your Khorns image ?