Another Pair of Cornwalls

hodgesj

1.gif

I just purchased another pair of Cornwalls. What a killer HT four Cornwalls make! My original set that I have was purchased in 1985 (oak with brown grills SN 8444258 & 8444259). The ones I just purchased are walnut with brown grills with SN 8452465 & 8452466. I was told that my original oak Cornwalls were built in 1984. Could someone please tell me when the ones I just purchased were built?

Also, what would be the best Klipsch center channel speaker to go with these Cornwalls? Which one would be the best timbre match? Do I really even need a center channel as these things do a good job of imaging the sound without a center?

Thanks for any input that anyone has.

James

Yeah baby!!! All Cornwalls?? That's the way to do it9.gif

Both of your Cornwalls are 1984 models (we can tell by the SN). That's very good, since they should have the exact same drivers (assuming they are all original).

If you really want to do the right thing regarding your center, get a fifth Cornwall. Bend it, squeeze it, do whatcha gotta do to make this work. Up to 75% of your movie sound will come through your center, so you want a Cornwall for the perfect timbre match.

I have a similar theater - Cornwall II's as mains, Chorus as rears, and the Academy at Center. Since there is absolutely no way to make a Cornwall fit as center in my theater (unless I hang it - and I've thought a great deal about it) - the plan is to find a single Belle Klipsch to be my center (as well as being a TV stand, after I make certain modifications to it). The Belle makes a very good center between two Cornwalls (as well as between two Klipschorns as well).

If you absolutely, positively cannot make the Cornwall (or Belle) at center, think harder and try to make it work9.gif If this cannot be done, then there are two other options that come to mind - but these will have sonic drawbacks, to a degree.

The smallest center that will have timbre match would be a single Heresy or Academy. I have an Academy, and am seeking to replace it, since it simply is not as robust as the Cornwalls. It is a good voice match, and is magnetically shielded - but for reference level listening, you will notice it's shortcomings.

The Heresy is a good option sonically too - it will be a close timbre match to the Cornwalls.

The final option is to go without a center. This may actually work pretty well if your Corns image well to begin with. Simply set your receiver/prepro to the "no center" or "phantom" mode, and the center sound will be blended into your two main Cornwalls. This way, the crucial center sound will be put forth by Cornwalls, vs. something less desireable. You can try this now, and see how it works. For many, this works well - it may well be the best option if a fifth Cornwall or Belle is not an option.

Hope this helps!

BTW, I made an edit or two, so you may wish to refresh the page.

I agree with dnd.

I think that the big investment in 5 identical speakers doesn't always make sense in some situtations. One is when the fellow just doesn't have the cash and / room. A second is when they have K-Horns --- a center channel is typically not going to be a third K-Horn, in the center, and in a corner.

On the other hand, you are so, so close to a matched system all around. It would be a shame to be so, so close to the mark and not achieve it.

Let me suggest you try moving one of the second pair to a center channel position, assuming you have the electronic capablity to exploit its use. I think you'll find some wonderful effects which you can't live without. It may be that you will forego, perhaps for a short period, surround, for the sake of center. Setting the center to "large" would take full use of it's capability.

If you're in a bind for space, weight, etc., and can not use a Cornwall, then a Heresy is a good choice.

Gil

"I think that the big investment in 5 identical speakers doesn't always make sense in some situtations. One is when the fellow just doesn't have the cash and / room."

If we were talking new prices on Heritage (or RF - 7's, which is also a tougher sell), I would agree. However, with the value that used Heritage bring, I say go for it!!! (and especially if one has the room). I see it this way:

If one purchases 2 RF-7's ($1500), 1 RC-7 ($600), and a pair of RS-7's ($600), there is $2200 invested (and those prices are the low side). One can get 5 Corns for this money used. Wide dispersion vs. monopole issues aside, I say the Cornwall package is da bomb - for a very attractive price. Given the value, I will always recommend this approach when used Heritage is the chosen speakers - especially for those more focused on multichannel music, or those who simply prefer 5 or more full range speakers vs. wide dispersion approaches.

Personally, as a 50-50 HT/Music Video user, I find the 5 identical mains approach to be preferable (kick a$$, to be quite honest), but that's another debate entirely.

If one doesn't have the room, I understand, but if one does, the salesman in me comes to the fore......

Congrats on the latest Cornwalls. One can never have enough, I always say!

I'm no expert, since I have no HT setup. Both Gil and dndphishin are spot on with a center channel selection (either a single Cornwall, a Belle, or a Heresy, or use "Phantom" mode). May I suggest a single Forte II as well...I've never heard the Forte IIs before, but I've read that it's a very close timbre match to the Cornwalls as well (if I'm wrong, then I stand corrected).

Just a thought...

I would NOT select a forte II at center, since the Forte II uses the Tractrix horns (slightly different timbre). If one wants to go with something of similar size, I would consider an original Chorus - it shares the identical tweeter/squawker as the Cornwall (which is why I use these as rears in my HT - think of these as slimline Cornwalls).